Modad2010

Upgrading Tools

Hi everyone. I just recently started carving and tooling after building holsters for the past year. The stamping tools that I am using are some of the newer craftools. Being on a budget, I am not able to buy a complete set at one time. My question is what tools do you start upgrading with first? Bevelers? Shaders? Veiners? Thanks in advance.

My vote is for bevelers as I use that on most everything. Check ebay for used, older tools too.

Being on a budget, I am not able to buy a complete set at one time.

I'd give craigslist and local garage sales a try before eBay. Both of the former options can be local and you have a better chance of getting decent tools without feeling like you need to seek out some Preparation-H and Tuck's Pads.

The deals may not pop up super frequently, but they do come up. There's also nothing wrong with using the ones that you have until you feel like you've outgrown them or really need to add some variety to your tools. It's worth noting that there are plenty of guys that have done some wonderful work with tools made from nails, bolts, and anything else handy, because buying the best paints and brushes won't make you a better painter.

That's just my take on it, but this is certainly a place where DIY remains a common theme.

First bevelers, then thumbprint.

X2 I would get a medium size and Small size beveler to start then a middle size Thumbprint (you can walk it to make it wider, the length is irrelevant), then a medium camo tool, then a medium veiner, by then you will kind of know where you need to go next. Keep in mind that the tools you have work so you can replace them one at a time as opposed to trying to rebuy the entire set at once.

Chief

Thanks for the advice. I was assuming that bevelers would be one of the first things. The first upgrade I actually made was to call Barry King, ask for his advice and order a new swivel knife. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. Thanks again.

Clay Miller Bevelers. Best bang for your buck-Bar None. Just my opinion. they will last a life time if you take care of them and they are outstanding, He is on this forum. HTH Ken

My suggestion would be to buy a good swivel knife first, then the better bevelers., etc.