talon

What Do You Do With Your Scrap Leather?

I have several hundred pounds of scrap leather that I don't have a use for. Sizes range from pieces less than a 2 square inches to pieces that are up to 2 square feet. In each case it is unusable for my products. What do you guys do with your scrap leather? I almost took a pallet load to the trash today but hated seeing it go to waste so I paused(It just seems like it might be something someone could use). Its all drum dyed veg tan leather (Black). We produce probably 50 lbs of scrap a week. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I'm starting to run into the same problem, so I've been giving this some thought recently. My scrap drawer is overflowing, and I keep accumulating more. If only cows were made 1-2 feet longer, then I'd be able to manage my stock to have a lot less waste on strap scraps!

Think about what -could- be made with your scraps, and work from there. The two square feet pieces in particular sound very promising. There's a lot that can be done with that size.

In my case, I have a lot of strap ends from dog collars and belts that aren't long enough to make into smaller collars. Looking at them, many of them would work being made into cuffs, keychains, and other little things like this.

I've been so busy doing collars and belts, that I haven't had time to deal with the scrap pieces. If I had another me (or even two of me) working for me, we'd make the smaller pieces into ladies' cuffs to match the collars and belts I make, and embed gemstones into the smallest pieces for novelty keychains.

Another interesting avenue would to sell the scrap to the DIY (do-it-yourself) market. I'm thinking of selling similarly sized strap ends in DIY bracelet or cuff kits. I'd cut the ends of the straps nicely, and maybe punch some holes for lace and install eyelets. Perhaps I'd include some lace in the lot for the purpose of fastening the bracelets together. I think for such a listing on Etsy, my market would be the crafty types who are mostly non-leatherworkers, so I'd write up some instructions on how to texture/tool the leather with some basic things around the home, and what readily available paints/dyes/finishes could be used. I haven't tested this idea yet, I'm hoping to try this once I've finally gotten to the bottom of my open and pending collar/belt orders and designs (haha, that's not happening anytime soon! ).

Or, you could sort your scrap into various sizes and sell it at cost to other leatherworkers. I'm sure there are many who make smaller items who would love this.

I need to watch this so I can get some ideas............

May God bless,

Dwight

If you are a helpful kind of person, you might check with some of the youth groups (4-H, Scouts, YMCA, Church groups ) in your area and see if they would be interested since they often do small items like bracelets, bookmarks, coin purses, etc.

That little 2 foot piece of lacing that you don't want to mess with, might be just perfect for one of the kid's items.

REMINDER - If there is any chance that your scraps are contaminated with lead, please pass on this idea because while lead is bad for everybody.....it is very, very, very bad for developing children

For me, I will make key rings and bracelets.

Some for them I will hand dyied it as the sample, some of them I will use to practise.

And........pack it into a bag and sell it. Haha.........

I tend to make items in a range of sizes. So scraps that I have wind up going to other projects. Like, if I cut out the eye shape of a mask, I might later use that piece as a pendant, keychain, etc. Really thin scraps, I use as making straps to hold the ribbon to a mask.

I also use really small scraps as test pieces. What would this color look like painted on this leather? That kind of deal.

My partner-in-crime uses some of the leftover scraps of tooling leather to sand/smooth down wax doll parts (she is a dollmaker).

There are still a few scraps I'm not sure what to do with, yet, that are super small (like, millimeters). I usually just wind up trashing those.

But those 2 feet "scraps" you are talking about? For someone like me, those are not scraps, but several projects waiting to happen. I am sure if you picked out some of the pieces like that, you could sell them on Etsy or eBay - those are two places I go to pick up other people's leather scraps. You could also bundle up some of the much smaller pieces and sell them, too. I know some people sell tiny bits of leftover hair-on hides and furs for people to make fishing supplies out of.

I was given a huge box of scraps (oil tanned leather) from a customer that makes leather shoes......I couldn't use it, so I posted it "For Sale" on here under the Marketplace section.....Items for Sale......Leather & Lace. I offered it for free to anyone that would pay for shipping using USPS flat rate boxes and jammed as much as I could into each box.

Those "scraps" are perfect for beginners or those who want to test dyes or cutting or sewing, etc.

Edited to remove an apparent act of greed.

Edited by StrigaMort

Interesting. Someone (anonymous of course) sent an email. I'll just say that they greatly disapproved with my post above. Since I cannot reply to your email, and because I know you're reading... It wasn't my intention to come across as a leech. I'm sure my feelings are on the same page as the OP in seeing a waste by simply disposing of the scraps. If I'm way out of line here, forgive me. I don't ask for help, or anything typically, however, I'm coming from a community of knife makers, the normal position is to help one another as much as is reasonable. I still believe that the usual person in leather work is cut from the same cloth, we are all craftsmen and women. Maybe posting my email was a mistake.

Anyway, my apologies to anyone I may have offended. Wasn't my intention.

Book covers, dog collars, key rings, bracelets, etc. Or, you can sell it on eBay. Just a thought......

I make business cards out of small scraps. I burn my mark into them along with the pertinent info on how to reach me.

As a new leather worker I just finished a pair of moccasins for my youngest so made from two pieces of a bag of scraps. I suspect that you have already covered the cost of the leather so to sell the scrap you need to cover your time to package, post and ship the scrap. Please think of it as getting paid to dump it on others. Even a small pieces would be good for laminar armor. Also scout groups would likely be willing to trade sorting work for some of the leather. If you decide to sell please let me know right now two square feet seems like a lot.

I make and sell these slingshot holsters from my rough belly scrap. -- Tex

post-42291-0-60490600-1401886142_thumb.j

post-42291-0-94138800-1401886156_thumb.j

post-42291-0-93200900-1401886173_thumb.j

What I don't use for prototypes I give to the local scoutmaster. Last time he had enough for the scout troops in three counties.

Scrap? Leather? ??? What doesn't go into smaller projects or small pieces for larger projects goes into testing and practice. Testing: edge sharpness, dye color, tool impressions, etc; practice: trimming, skiving, swivel knife, etc (including demonstrations to friend and customers). By the time I get finished with my 'scrap' it's garbage. There is seldom more than a small ziplock bag of un-harmed leftovers anywhere in my shop. In fact I bought several dozen pounds of scrap just to 'try things' or try things again.

I generate up to a couple hundred pounds a year. There's only so many rosettes and harness wear leathers you can use! I have bagged it up and taken it to a local monthly horse sale. Sometimes it pays the fuel and supper, less so now than it used to. I've clicked out key fobs and stamp them with my makers stamp; a business card of sorts. I burn a lot in my wood stove in the winter. Leather burns super hot if you have a half way decent fire started. I have advertised scrap on Craigslist, but mostly I get people that are more trouble than it's worth and people who are looking to get something for nothing and use the "Disabled" excuse or "church youth group" excuse. Nothing against those that are truly disabled or leaders of REAL church groups

Lots of us use smaller pieces of leather. I've had great success in buying scraps that are 2sqft and larger and turning them into wallets, small bags, etc. Donate as much as you can and sell the rest. There are plenty of people like me interested in scraps of different sizes.

Two-foot square pieces does not qualify as scrap in my shop. The only thing larger than a rosette- or wear-leather sized piece that gets discarded or sold or given away as scrap would be something too flanky for me to use, or maybe something with damaged grain, and lots and lots of stuff out of the splitters and skiver. I separate my scrap into boxes, label them and stack them by my clicker. They are sorted by size, color and type of leather. Still have more than I'll ever use, but I just can't bear to give away good solid scrap if I'm able to click a rosette or a latigo catcher out of it. And I always need a little scrap for sewing machine set-up and testing knives and other tools on. That doesn't have to be top quality stuff, just not baggy and flanky.

Since I got my Tippmann, most of my scrap goes into keeping my machine adjusted properly....... :)

Which as some know... can take some time!...

:)

Anyone have a couple of feet of 4oz veg tanned I'd be happy to pay you for it. Shoot me an email if you'd like. :)

same as quirtevans, most of mine used to set up sewing machine and test mixed colours on.......

I make business cards out of small scraps. I burn my mark into them along with the pertinent info on how to reach me.

That is a great idea!

sort the small pieces from the big pieces... bag them and sell them on ebay...

I am going to start and glue the pieces together like a puzzle. It would look nice for a book cover or something.