Sign in to follow this  
cityboibk

What Type Of Leather Is Used For This Handle

Hello everyone,

This is my first tread as I am brand new to the leather crafting community. I'm inspired to take up leather crafting as a hobby because so often I like leather products that I can't afford so I decided, this time I'll make it myself. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as my projects progress and this site seems to have a wealth of information.

My first two projects in waitng are a soft sided calfskin briefcase and a hard-side Louis Vuitton inspired suitcase. My question is about the suitcase. I have seen a few times on here where some have said that Wickett and Craig provides LV with their leather. My intention is to call them but I need to first know how to describe what I'm looking for. The attachment picture I provided shows the suitcase with the leather made handle I want to make. I need to know what type of leather this handle is made from . I already have an idea on how to make the handle thanks to Al Stohlman. I just need to know what type of leather to ask for. On the WC site I see (in the leathers description) Skirting, Carving/Tooling, Harness, Bridle and so on. Can someone advise?

post-29610-074281100 1332104332_thumb.jp

Edited by cityboibk

I think i would use skirting leather. Several years ago i tried a side of the tooling leather and i didn't like it to well.

In I think the first book of the three book series by Stohlman on case making it shows how to make these handles and I think suggestions of what leather weight to use. I have used skirting leather and skived it when it needs to be thinner. That has been my method. I used tooling belly on one laptop case handle. It seemed okay and have not heard any negative feedback from it's owner after two semesters of use.

In I think the first book of the three book series by Stohlman on case making it shows how to make these handles and I think suggestions of what leather weight to use. I have used skirting leather and skived it when it needs to be thinner. That has been my method. I used tooling belly on one laptop case handle. It seemed okay and have not heard any negative feedback from it's owner after two semesters of use.

Yes you are correct. I have volume 2 and it does show how to make these handles and the suggested weights as well. Thank you for your suggestion.

I think i would use skirting leather. Several years ago i tried a side of the tooling leather and i didn't like it to well.

Thank you. I will try the skirting.

So I called WC today and they are going to send me samples. Matt says the only difference between skirting and tooling leather is color which confused me a bit. I'll make my decision once I get the samples.

I was wrong when i said tooling it was the carving leather that i got and it had a funny finish kinda nappy almost like a newbuck. But that was years ago and it might be different now. Sorry about the screw up on my part.