OdinUK

Punching Holes Or Slots In Guitar Straps

When punching holes for the anchor points or slots on the strap, do you punch them out before or after the strap has been dyed? Im concerned of getting darker areas of dye around the slots if I do it after punching. Thank you.

I always punch holes after dyeing, oiling or finishing, because more dye or oil will be absorbed into the holes.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I can see how that can be, but didnt know if it would be a problem or not. I'll get on with dying the guitar strap and leave the punching till last and see how it turns out.

After punching the slots, does anyone dye them or leave them showing the undyed leather?

After punching the slots, does anyone dye them or leave them showing the undyed leather?

dye them, or if the leather burnishes nicely burnish the wholes with a spindle burnisher like the ones Spinner makes. It looks unsightly if you leave them natural especially if the strap is a darker color.

While dying the holes.... use a dye marker if you have one. They are easy to refill and use... and you'll have a lot more control over the dye. Approach the holes from the back side of the piece... and be careful.