Okay - I'm a perfectionist by nature. As I was dying my edges, some dye accidentally dripped down onto the backside of the leather and I didn't notice it until I flipped it over to finish dying the edges. My first thought - I need to rip out the thread and re-stitch the perimeter. My wife? "it's on the back side - no one will ever notice!!" Uh.... Let's just say she's not in charge of my quality control department...

:head_hurts_kr:

The edges still need to be burnished one last time, and it needs a couple coats of sealer before I mask off the stitching and apply antique to the tooling.

So, here it is - would you yank out the thread and re-sew it? Or just cut out the affected portion and re-sew that portion only? I'm afraid it'll be pretty tough to sew since it's already been formed and hardened (oven-method). It'll have to be hand sewn - I tried sticking it on the Boss and there wasn't enough clearance without smashing it down a bit and dinking up the leather with the presser foot / stirrup plate.

Oh yeah - this is for a customer, so someone is paying for this item and I personally feel like they deserve a blemish free item. My wife thinks I'm being too picky... What do you think?

1107310542_KCsjF-L.jpg

1107313700_dJU5i-L.jpg

If you can just ask the customer, it's their opinion that matters. At least that particular location wouldn't be that hard to hand sew. Personally that wouldn't stop me from buying it if I knew about it ahead of time and depending on how much I was paying.

Okay - I'm a perfectionist by nature. As I was dying my edges, some dye accidentally dripped down onto the backside of the leather and I didn't notice it until I flipped it over to finish dying the edges. My first thought - I need to rip out the thread and re-stitch the perimeter. My wife? "it's on the back side - no one will ever notice!!" Uh.... Let's just say she's not in charge of my quality control department...

:head_hurts_kr:

The edges still need to be burnished one last time, and it needs a couple coats of sealer before I mask off the stitching and apply antique to the tooling.

So, here it is - would you yank out the thread and re-sew it? Or just cut out the affected portion and re-sew that portion only? I'm afraid it'll be pretty tough to sew since it's already been formed and hardened (oven-method). It'll have to be hand sewn - I tried sticking it on the Boss and there wasn't enough clearance without smashing it down a bit and dinking up the leather with the presser foot / stirrup plate.

Oh yeah - this is for a customer, so someone is paying for this item and I personally feel like they deserve a blemish free item. My wife thinks I'm being too picky... What do you think?

I don't see the "Drip". I know how you feel. If I was doing it for a customer I would do the whole project over. Drives my wife to near insanity when I throw what I consider blemished goods away but there is a level I wish to accomplish and maintain. head_hurts_kr.gif

ferg

I don't see the "Drip". I know how you feel. If I was doing it for a customer I would do the whole project over. Drives my wife to near insanity when I throw what I consider blemished goods away but there is a level I wish to accomplish and maintain. head_hurts_kr.gif

ferg

Judging by the high quality of your work, you are catering to a discriminating kind of holster buyer. They will notice - guaranteed. If I was the customer I wouldn't mind getting an e-mail w/ a pic of the item, and being given a choice between a do over or a small rebate on the imperfect item.

You mean the dye that got on the stitching? Honestly I might just dye all of the stitching on the back and make it look like I did it on purpose--then again, my specialty is making leather look all kinds of messed up :P

Ya gotta nice lookin' piece o' cow there. Personally, I'd either replace it - or not - with no mention to the customer. Your wife's prolly right ... proll nobody cares. Only question to ask ... does it bother YOU?

Please don't take this the wrong way.

I've seen a lot of the pictures you've posted on here, and your holsters are nothing short of amazing. The edges, the molding, and especially the stitching are typically PERFECT.

On this one, the stitching, while still damned good, looks a bit imperfect. Can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't have that perfect look I'm used to seeing in the pictures you put up. And it's not just the drip of dye.

Were you tired or distracted when you did this one?

Don't get me wrong: that's still better than my BEST work.

But you're not me. I'd say restitch it.

Were I buying it, I'd notice it, but it wouldn't bother me.

I'm very anal about stuff like that so I would restitch that small section.

I have friends and customers who would do a "So what?" and go on down the road with it, . . . gladly wearing it. In that case, . . . I would do a price adjustment, . . . and all would be happy.

A new customer, . . . especially an out of state customer: do over, . . . keep the other one for the flea market table, . . . no sense in pitching perfectly good items that someone can use.

But then, . . . most people know me more for my practical side.

Good work, . . . keep it up.

May God bless,

Dwight

You do beautiful work...and now I know why. every detail is important to you.

If i were you this is what i would do:

First i would take out the stitches where the dye darkened it, and restitch that part and see how it looks.

If that didn't look good i would take out all the stitches in the black leather and redo that.

If i was still unhappy after that, i would remake the whole project for the customer, and keep the first one (which would now be stain free) for the flea market or gun show table.

ken

I once completely ripped out and re-sewed a leg on a pair of chinks because I was unhappy with two stitches that were on angles compared to the rest on the outside seam stitching.

So I don't think you are being anal at all.

If you strive for perfection, than that is a personal decision.

Your work is beautiful. I don't think most novices would notice a thing like you have pointed out. Even if they did they might not even have an opinion about it and just except it as being what it is.

But if you need it restitched, than don't hesitate to satisfy yourself. I never let anything go out of the shop that I personally an not satisfied with.

Even when my wife says, 'oh honey I don't think anyone would care but you'.

It would probably take shorter time to restitch the thing than to read this thread...

:)

That's what I would do, considering it's on the back. If it was the front it would be a whole 'nuther story. I recently remade a belt because I got a very light thumbprint of darker dye on the finished belt. The rest of the belt was gorgeous, and as soon as I did it I realized it and did a quick clean of the area, but there was still this very faint thumbprint that probably no one else would see. I didn't want to re-dye a darker shade so I remade the belt.

Ann

You mean the dye that got on the stitching? Honestly I might just dye all of the stitching on the back and make it look like I did it on purpose--then again, my specialty is making leather look all kinds of messed up :P

It would probably take shorter time to restitch the thing than to read this thread...

:)

LOL - true enough. My wife told me I was not allowed to remove the stitches until I got some second opinions, so in the interest of a happy home, this thread was born... :)

I appreciate all the feedback everyone - dying the thread on the back sounds like the easiest fix, though I'm a tad afraid the dye might bleed over onto the top thread. Still open to this approach though...

One thing I'm afraid of with ripping out the stitches and re-stitching it is whether or not the holes will close back up at this point since the leather has already hardened from its time in the oven, thus not adequately securing the thread in the holes. Anyone have any experience with re-stitching a holster at this point in the game? Since it was machine stitched, I'll probably have to use an awl to enlarge the holes enough to hand stitch it, correct?

THe cool thing about handmade items is that customers expect to see flaws and imperfections, no matter how small. They're what makes handmade items different from items spit off an assembly line.

Eric, if it bothers you enough to post the question on here, then it will bother you until you make it right. Even if the customer says it is OK.....it is still your work on his hip. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have took all the sticihes out and resewed before, when it didn't look to suit me. So i feel your pain. I want what i make to be the best i can make period ! But i have had a couple of pices that had a spot that wouldn't take dye. I sold them in person and showed them the spot and took some money off if they wanted it. I think from now i am going to mark them with a 2 to show that their seconds. Not good enough to sell as a number one but to good to cut up and trash and i have cut some up to.

Edited by dirtclod

As others have stated, your work is always beautiful. If it were me, I would probably carefully dye the rest of the thread on the back only with a small paintbrush to keep it from bleeding through to the front and then sell it on your website as an in stock item. You could still get full price as you would supply pictures up front and the customer would know exactly what they were getting (and would never know the difference). I would re-make another for the original customer because he/she is probably expecting white thread. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Just my .02

As others have stated, your work is always beautiful. If it were me, I would probably carefully dye the rest of the thread on the back only with a small paintbrush to keep it from bleeding through to the front and then sell it on your website as an in stock item. You could still get full price as you would supply pictures up front and the customer would know exactly what they were getting (and would never know the difference). I would re-make another for the original customer because he/she is probably expecting white thread. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Just my .02

unless of course, your customer read this thread...then they would know it was a fix....lol. Rob is right however, if you dye sparingly a couple of coats it won't soak through. i too have had this issue and have a box full of minor little defects. but i always remember that even if i give it away at a discounted price or even for free. my name is on it and i don't want others who see the customer wearing it thinking that any defect is my standard.

Tony

On a related note how are you dying the edges that you had it drip down the back?

I've started using the method that Al Stohlman recommends in one of his books and it works great. Get a piece of thick felt and put a hunk in clothespin or binder clip. Dip the felt in the dye and when you run it over the edge it conforms to the shape and dyes the entire edge evenly and with one swipe. No muss, no fuss.

Bronson

Man, you're never going to stitch that thing well since it's been through the oven and has bends in the wings - at least, not with the machine. I'd discount it and remake it, but that's just my .02

Last night, I yanked out the stitching and re-stitched it. It was pretty difficult at first to remove the thread, as the two coats of Satin Sheen had helped to hold the thread in place. Plus, it was pretty hard to hold steady since it's so curvy now, which made re-stitching it even more difficult since it was hard to hold steady in my stitching pony. There was quite a bit of resistance at times, but I was still able to hand sew without having to resort to pliers. Turned out well, looks as good or better than before, and I can comfortably send it to the client and not have to make another one.

My wife walked into the garage and asked what I was doing. I cowered behind my bench (not really...) and told her you folks told me to do it!

gathering.gif

On a related note how are you dying the edges that you had it drip down the back?

I use a dauber dipped in a little cup of dye. I burnish first with water to smooth the edge, then apply the dye in the direction of the grain so it goes on smoothly. I just had a little too much dye on my dauber and it dripped.

head_hurts_kr.gif

I know what you mean about perfectionism. I've got three holsters I'm reluctant to try to sell to strangers because I'm unhappy with the results of the EcoFlo dye, even after multiple coats. I suspect these holsters are going to replace the Don Hume 715Ms I have.

When you're hand stitching, I suppose you're selling higher quality.