Sign in to follow this  
shoepatcher

Shoepatcher On Steriods

I wanted to let all the readers on the Forum in on a machine that I recently got from Singermania in Australia. I began to purchase this machine from Steve in April, 2014. I bought it on time and finished paying for it in October. He crated it up and I had it shipped to New York via Ocean Freighter. From there by freight truck to Detroit and then delivered to my place of employment 10 days. It was not cheap to get it here. Why would I spend money on this particular shoe patcher you might ask? Very simply, this is a monster compared to any shoe patcher of today. The arm length is 19.5". The shuttle is 3 times larger than a big bobbin Singer or Adler and at least 2.5 times bigger than a #30 large bobbin Claes. The lift on the foot is just under 1". The machine has to be gone over. Neither Steve nor I know who built it at this point. We don't even know what needle system it takes. One of the cast iron supports got broken in shipment so I have to get that fixed. In essence, it is a cross between a saddle machine and a shoepatcher. Steve sent me info on another one of these machines that is in a display at a castle in France. Other that, we only know about the two machines. I will be starting to restore it probably late this fall. I will get pics of the bobbins, shuttle , stand and head posted on this site soon. I am looking for any info that anyone might have on this beast, i.e manufacturer, manual, etc. It looks a lot like the early shoe patchers like Claes& Fenje, Bradbury, patent Elastic, etc.

Finally, I have begun to compile a list of the different shoe patcher machines that were built. If you have any pictures of little know ones, please post the pics. It will be fun to see how many companies made this type of machine over the last 150 plus years.

glenn