Hi Im Joe

Some Recent Stuff I've Done (Wallets And A Portfolio)...

Hello all,

Here are a couple wallets I've done and a portfolio I did for someone from Reddit. She wanted a portfolio to give to her boyfriend in the army corp of engineers. So I've never made one before so I told her I'd make her one for my cost of materials plus shipping. I think it came out pretty good.

The wallets I tried to turned turned bindings for the first time. It was a great learning process. The chromexcel card wallet has cut edges on the turned binding (was just trying to figure out the basics).

The veg tan medium brown wallet has the bindings folded on themselves and then folded over the edge. It was a bit of a challenge. Please tear them up. Let me know how I can improve. My feelings will not be hurt.

I learned that you have to leave some extra room between the binding and the edge you are turning it over. I also learned that cutting the corners is hard. I need to improve in that area.

Thanks for looking!

Joe

post-50407-0-48107100-1399385824_thumb.j

post-50407-0-14022300-1399385830_thumb.j

post-50407-0-02477000-1399385835_thumb.j

post-50407-0-17641500-1399386073_thumb.j

post-50407-0-80687900-1399386077_thumb.j

post-50407-0-74464500-1399386082_thumb.j

I like them. It's not easy to do a turned edge binding on a wallet, so good job. I think the wallets would benefit from smaller thread. Royalwood and Maine Thread are good suppliers.

Thanks! Yeah the chromexcel wallet is using tandy's tejas thread which is freaking giant. The brown wallet I wanted to see how artificial sinew worked so I used that. I have a small amount of tiger thread coming which I"m going to try out and if I like it I'll buy a bunch.

Thanks for posting the suppliers I'll check them out for sure!

Turned edges.... I couldn't even imagine! Way too difficult for me. I'll stick to the easy route and burnish mine haha they look great though!

Since we're on the topic of thread, has anyone tried the thread from Ohio Travel Bag?

I'll stick to the easy route and burnish mine

what is your method for burnishing chrome-tanned leather?

Turned edges.... I couldn't even imagine! Way too difficult for me. I'll stick to the easy route and burnish mine haha they look great though!

Since we're on the topic of thread, has anyone tried the thread from Ohio Travel Bag?

It's really not hard. You just have to take some more time thinking about measurements. Once you get the measurements the act of turning the edge and the rest is easy (barring the corners).

I am interested in this as well!

It's really not hard. You just have to take some more time thinking about measurements. Once you get the measurements the act of turning the edge and the rest is easy (barring the corners).

I am interested in this as well!

Hahaha I don't use chrome-tanned for that exact reason. The edges drive me insane, little OCD about it.

lol ok well at least i'm not the only one obsessed with my edges. hahaha

do you only use veg tanned leather then?

Edited by LTC

lol ok well at least i'm not the only one obsessed with my edges. hahaha

do you only use veg tanned leather then?

It's probably the best obsession you can have when it comes to leatherworking. I strongly believe edges make or break a leather item. I've seen some amazing pieces, truly CRAFTED, that just looked ameatur because the edges were overlooked, and on the flip side I've seen some pieces that had shoddy stitching, dye job was a little off, but still looked gorgeous because the edges were meticulously executed.

If you haven't checked out Bob Park's method of edge burnishing, I highly recommend it. Best method I've tried so far. And get a Pro Edge Burnisher. Best leather tool I've invested in and he's a pleasure to work with.

It's probably the best obsession you can have when it comes to leatherworking. I strongly believe edges make or break a leather item. I've seen some amazing pieces, truly CRAFTED, that just looked ameatur because the edges were overlooked, and on the flip side I've seen some pieces that had shoddy stitching, dye job was a little off, but still looked gorgeous because the edges were meticulously executed.

If you haven't checked out Bob Park's method of edge burnishing, I highly recommend it. Best method I've tried so far. And get a Pro Edge Burnisher. Best leather tool I've invested in and he's a pleasure to work with.

yeah i've read the Park method of edge finishing several times and already own a pro-edge burnisher for my foredom.

if you get a chance, could you please take a look at this thread i posted earlier today? i have many questions....maybe you have some answers?

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55548&hl=

thanks...

Hahaha I don't use chrome-tanned for that exact reason. The edges drive me insane, little OCD about it.

You are holding yourself back man...the chromexcel from Horween smells and feels so good! You should give it a try. Its really awesome stuff.