LeftyFretz

Making Backgrounded Areas Black

I bought the beginner's leatherworking kit from Tandy a couple of months ago. I did the wallet project last week, but I have a question about colouring the background black, as in this picture...

4141-00-L.JPG

I used the Saddle Tan Eco-Flo Hi-Lite colour stain and then used the Dk Cocoa Brown Eco-Flo Leather Dye to paint in the black parts. (It's the only black-ish colour in the kit). But when I went to finish the leather with the Super Sheene it took quite a lot of the dark dye I'd used for the background off. So it seems I can only use the Hi-Lites with the Super Sheene.

What should I be doing to get a nice even black background like in the image above? (Preferably something I can pick up from Tandy). Also is there anything available which is more precise than a paintbrush for this fine work? Thanks!

Edited by LeftyFretz

a steady hand....a small brush and black dye..this is what i do.

That's what I did as well. But like I said, the leather dye isn't compatible with the Super Shene finish product that is supplied in the kit.

Dye the background first...then apply supersheen...two coats , then apply FIEBINGS BLACK ANTIQUE... Springfield Leather has it.

I use FIEBINGS USMC Black, 2 coats plus touch up coat, then 2 coats of hilite, followed by super shine. When dry I follow with Aussie and a lite buff. Gives me a nice weather proof finish on my sheaths. I use small sable brushes.

Use fiebings dye, toss the eco-flo. Practice on something else first, it wicks away from where you touch it.

Aaron

I got the same kit a few months ago and had no difficulty dying the background black with a fine brush, and then using the hi-lite and satin shene from the kit. The only thing I can think of, is perhaps you didn't let your dyes dry completely before finishing it? I also applied the satin shene with a soft brush, which may have helped prevent ruboff.

That being said, I've learned that most of the eco flo stuff is crap (including the tools). Fiebing's all the way.

Same problem so I started using the spray super-sheen. I have not used anything other than Tandy stuff since they are conveniently located near me.