Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Java Splash and leather canvas

Well- If you can get that into the right art gallery - you may have the next thing in modern art.....

How about a new line: "Splash Holsters". Or the newest in paintball accessories?

Can you put black over Java Brown?

Feeling ill for you...

Crystal

The dye is on the rough side and I can get it covered and thinned out a bit when I do wet molding. I can get it covered by black dye. And it would be no trouble at all for my brown holsters.

This leather is what's remaining off that side of HO I picked up in Aug. and I have a new side already here. But, I'll be able to finish this one out without much waste :) I'm fixing to start on a new belt for myself. It won't be anything fancy, just a black, double layered 1.5" belt with a nickel heel buckle to replace a long trusted Carhartt piece I've worn for the last 4 or 5 years. Who'd trust a chef that won't eat his own cooking???? :D

Edited by Shorts

While I haven't quite got the splash technique under control, I am making some headway with the marbled effect:

ColtHRPdkJava.jpg

GDJCSO.jpg

JavaCSO.jpg

ColtHRPdkJava.jpg

JavaG23.jpg

GovtEXC.jpg

:thumbsup:

The dye is on the rough side and I can get it covered and thinned out a bit when I do wet molding. I can get it covered by black dye. And it would be no trouble at all for my brown holsters.

This leather is what's remaining off that side of HO I picked up in Aug. and I have a new side already here. But, I'll be able to finish this one out without much waste :) I'm fixing to start on a new belt for myself. It won't be anything fancy, just a black, double layered 1.5" belt with a nickel heel buckle to replace a long trusted Carhartt piece I've worn for the last 4 or 5 years. Who'd trust a chef that won't eat his own cooking???? :D

Whew - a recovery plan. Now how did you manage to do that and have it good side down?? :) It never happens that way in this house.

I really like the marbled effect you are getting on the holsters. Be sure to show off the belt when you are finished. I don't know if it is the chef who won't eat his own cooking or more like the cobbler's kids that have no shoes.... ;) Either way - treat yourself to a belt!

Crystal

While I haven't quite got the splash technique under control, I am making some headway with the marbled effect:

Personally, I like the mottled effect & I try to get it when I use all-in-one (The older tandy dark brown). It just gives a certain distinct 'character' to the leathers that set them apart from store-bought.

WOW shorts those look great. How the heck do you do that, or is it a trade secret lol.

Once again those look really nice.

Whew - a recovery plan. Now how did you manage to do that and have it good side down?? :) It never happens that way in this house.

I really like the marbled effect you are getting on the holsters. Be sure to show off the belt when you are finished. I don't know if it is the chef who won't eat his own cooking or more like the cobbler's kids that have no shoes.... ;) Either way - treat yourself to a belt!

Crystal

lol

Thanks! :) Will do!

Personally, I like the mottled effect & I try to get it when I use all-in-one (The older tandy dark brown). It just gives a certain distinct 'character' to the leathers that set them apart from store-bought.

Yes, they certainly do - not one is the same :) Off hand, they look so much better in person than on the computer screen :blush:

WOW shorts those look great. How the heck do you do that, or is it a trade secret lol.

Once again those look really nice.

Thanks Madmax. Nahh, not a trade secret so I guess I'll only rough you up instead of have to get rid of you all together if I tell you :rofl: The dye I use is EcoFlo and it is water based. To get smooth colors, I spray with an airbrush. To get the marbled, I use a dauber. That's only with the browns and tans though...and you have to be careful how you apply it ir it can get uneven or just not look right (the Tans are especially tempermental). I use small circular strokes to apply the dye, kinda like if I was waxing.

For black dye, I apply straight with an airbrush. The characteristic I don't like about EcoFlo is that they are water-based so there is a lot of moisture that sinks back into the leather without dye. I don't like rewetting my molded, dry holsters so I keep as much moisture out on solid colors by using the airbrush.