Sign in to follow this  
TigerPal

Sealing Leather Jacks, Mugs or Bottles

I've been thinking of trying my hand at making some leather mugs and bottles. There has been a good bit of discussion over use of beeswax and/or brewer's pitch to seal such things. Has anyone ever tried using Carnauba wax? I've read a good bit on-line how it is used in a number of different food products such as candy, even medicine tablets and that it is also a component of some leather treatments. A couple of articles indicate that a mixture of 1 part Carnauba wax to 5 parts of beeswax raises the melting point of the mixture to about 180 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit (around 82 to 84 C). This is also said to make a harder coating than plain beeswax. Sounds like this might be a more interesting coating than either plain beeswax, or brewers pitch, or the hard-to-find "food grade" poly varnish. I would be quite interested in learning of anyone's experiences with Carnauba.

as for sealing the mugs and bottles, you want the lining to be flexible. It will crack otherwise and leak over time. Leather is flexible and so is brewers pitch. I mix mine around 2parts brewers to 1part bees wax.

Now to harden the actual mug it might work really well. I'd say give it a try and see what happens. :)