Sign in to follow this  
grumpyguy

Resin for fiber glassing a cutting tree.

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what kind, brands, or mix ratios hardener to resin to use for fiberglassing a cutting saddle tree.

Any help with this info. would be greatly appreciated as I know very little about glass covered trees. (Old or maybe just old fashioned guy that still likes rawhide on trees, but coming around to giving something "new" a try.)

I bought the thing cheap from a cutting horse trainer friend who paid good money to have it made but lost intrest in the project. It's made from southern yellow pine and has been constantly moved from one place to another for nearly fifteen years. (Le'me guess thinkin' pack rat might be coming to mind now, right?) I thought of tossing it but got to thinking I'd seen some nice custom ranch cutters on this forum, so next I thought "Almost like a free tree, Oh why not give it a go." :Lighten: The wood is solid and there are no cracks or other damage/blemishes that would be of concern. I plan to get a horn from Boise Foundry for it, as they show one on thier site that'll fill the bill. I'll make the strainer from 20 gauge galv., sheet that I was also going to toss too, but now plan to use.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments. :cowboy:

Grumpy Guy

You can get a fiberglass repair kit at your local auto parts store or even at your local Home Depot or the like. Just follow the directions and you will be on your way. I do fiberglass work for a living so if you have any questions give me a shout.......

Toss the metal, Put in an all leather ground seat. Much easier to work into a nice seat.

Edited by colttrainer

I would suggest the use of epoxy resin. available for example: /www.jgreer.com/Contact Us.htm

This is a far superior product to the polyester resins that are used in the fiberglass repair kits.

Also west system.

system three..

It is my understanding a tree is coated with fiberglass to prevent drying out plus what periods of heat, humidity and cooler temperatures do to the tree. Usually bare wood after 15 years is somewhat dried out and has lost a lot of its elasticity.

Hi Grumpy Guy -

I have zilch experience building saddles (yet) or trees, but I have a little experience with epoxy and fiberglassing, albeit from a boat building perspective. I've built two wood kayaks, using fiberglass and epoxy over marine ply, and used epoxy and glass to make a boat repair or two for friends.

I would recommend Systems 3 epoxy and resin. It is well-respected product, is reliable, and wets out fiberglass nicely. Ratio of resin to hardner depends on who makes the stuff; many (including System 3) are two parts resin to one part hardener -but not all! It's critical to get the ratios correct, or you will have a sticky, gummy, goey mess to contend with.

There are other good epoxy products out there - which epoxy product is the best is a subject of very spirited debate amongst boatbuilders! - but I'm making my recommendation here based on my own experiences.

Here is a link to "The Epoxy Book" on Systems 3 website, which will tell you more than you probably want to know lol but it is helpful if you're unfamiliar with epoxy and fiberglass, no matter what brand you're using :)http://systemthree.com/members/m_index.asp

Good luck!

Wyldflower

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what kind, brands, or mix ratios hardener to resin to use for fiberglassing a cutting saddle tree.

Any help with this info. would be greatly appreciated as I know very little about glass covered trees. (Old or maybe just old fashioned guy that still likes rawhide on trees, but coming around to giving something "new" a try.)

I bought the thing cheap from a cutting horse trainer friend who paid good money to have it made but lost intrest in the project. It's made from southern yellow pine and has been constantly moved from one place to another for nearly fifteen years. (Le'me guess thinkin' pack rat might be coming to mind now, right?) I thought of tossing it but got to thinking I'd seen some nice custom ranch cutters on this forum, so next I thought "Almost like a free tree, Oh why not give it a go." :Lighten: The wood is solid and there are no cracks or other damage/blemishes that would be of concern. I plan to get a horn from Boise Foundry for it, as they show one on thier site that'll fill the bill. I'll make the strainer from 20 gauge galv., sheet that I was also going to toss too, but now plan to use.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments. :cowboy:

Grumpy Guy