Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Chee

Edge Burning Tool

Hi folks, I came across this edge burning tool and I"d like to know what it's for. I've seen some reefer ended to it and some pics of people using it but no explanation as to the purpose of this tool. Any help would be appreciated.

edge-dye-burning-fixing.jpg

Andrew

I'm thinking edge burning/branding technique to give it a burnished look. Using hot irons to brand cattle is ages old so it makes sense that using a modified iron (The U-shaped end is notably hot, likely hooked up to a torch tip of some kind) could be used to burn the edges rather than burnish. Burnishing is the result of heat + friction, this method is just heat. Many paints and heavy pigment dyes can be heat set as well so it's possible there is a bit of dye on the edge that is being heat set while the fibers are essentially being cauterized flat to give it a finished edge.

I read somewhere that a lot of high end bag and wallet manufacturers use this technique. Does anyone know what the benefits of going this way vs. more traditional burnishing?

Also, the tool looks like a soldering iron with a different tip. Probably not terribly expensive. Anyone know where to find one? Maybe I'll try it out.

Andrew

Interesting concept. Must try that. Thanks for posting.

I read somewhere that a lot of high end bag and wallet manufacturers use this technique. Does anyone know what the benefits of going this way vs. more traditional burnishing?

Also, the tool looks like a soldering iron with a different tip. Probably not terribly expensive. Anyone know where to find one? Maybe I'll try it out.

Andrew

Yep, most production houses use this technique as it's fast and holds up pretty well. The benefit of it is speed. The also use an edge paint that is fairly flexible and applied via a special belt/roller machine. The main difference is the edge will eventually crack and break off doing it this way, the same problem folks here have with using EdgeKote and similar products. Traditional Burnishing is a process of flattening and polishing the fibers versus simply burning them, it's the friction polish step that causes a traditional edge to last longer and allows for repairs. The burned/painted edges can never be repaired as well as a burnished one as the color/fade/cracks will show somewhat.

As far as the tool, it's actually a tip that's attached to a torch end, likely propane or another gas. The tips are approx. 1" x 1/2" with the channel cut out so a soldering iron would have a heck of a time getting it hot enough with all of that metal. There are heavier duty versions used in woodworking for branding maker's marks onto projects that would work if electricity is preferred over gas. Those iron heaters run around $80-100 and the tip is usually custom made but any metal shop can make one with the provided specs.

Something else to keep in mind, once the edge is burned and painted/sealed it will still need to be buffed/polished to get a decent shine out of it. At the end of the day, unless you plan on putting out wholesale numbers of edged items on a regular basis, traditional burnishing will likely be cheaper and cleaner (can't imagine having the smell of burnt leather in my shop all day everyday) in the long run.

Edited by Spinner

Spinner, thank you for sharing your knowledge.