reddevil76

Handling Veg Tan

I'm not sure where's the best section to post this for a brain storm, so I guess this is the best place.

Right, we all love veg tan because you can tool it, stamp it, dye it, mold it. And because of its properties, it is also susceptible to picking up dirt on the work table.

I always make it a point to wipe down my work area prior to a project. But inevitably, through the whole process of making a wallet, some sneaky dirt would get onto the leather.

So now, after cutting the individual pieces, I will apply a thin coat of resist/finish, BEFORE all other work.

But then, there will be customers who wants products natural without finish. I suppose I can wipe down not only my work area, but each and every tool.

The problem now comes if you have to display the items. For those who have participated at fairs or meets, how do you handle the display of your products?

In a public setting, I think we have to accept that, in terms of ratio, there'll probably be a hundred "feelers" to a genuine buyer. How do you guys keep your veg tan products from eventually being decorated by fingerprints?

There's a high end boutique here that recently started distributing the uber-expensive leather line from Red Moon Japan. One plain veg tan biker wallet goes for up to $600-$700. I popped by the boutique recently and noticed that all the stuff were locked in glass display cabinets. Looks like they are worried about their products getting grimy as well.

Anyone who has successfully navigated a meet without problems of this nature, please do share your experience.

You could make one of every thing to let the customers handle and when you think you have a for sure buyer get the non handled ones out. Kinda like you only get to see them when your ready to buy and take them out of a velvet bag or some kind of fancy case.Make them feel like their getting something that most people won't be able to have or afford.

Edited by dirtclod

Yeah, I did think of that. But I think i will be making probably only 1-2 pieces of each design to keep it exclusive. So I gotta find a better way around this.

Hi reddevil

here's is my take

tbh, when people ask for natural finish, I think they really just mean that they do not want the product to be dyed or given an extra heavy and glossy finish.

You see most of them are just following the up and coming trend of having an "item that ages" (not sure where it originated from, but i think redmoon is very largely responsible for it). What they want is their product to start out in its natural color and develop a patina over time. Many of them have the impression that for a product to be able to drastically age like that over time, it has to be "unfinished", which is not true, because a protective finish won't really hinder the product from showing its aging characteristics, aside from damage from contact with water. If you look at redmoon's leather products, they are all given a finish, even those undyed ones. I believe that is what most of your customers want anyway. Most of them who ask for no finish are likely to have been inspired by redmoon.

I may be wrong, but this is as much as I have gathered from my research so far. If I were you, I would go ahead and apply the finish. While I admit that i'm a follower of this "aging leather" trend, I personally prefer my natural leather items to be given a light coat of beeswax as a finish. Gives it a kind of "glow" to the leather in my opinion. Truly unfinished leather sometimes can look a bit dull.

Actually the effect from beeswax or mink oil is quite different from say, Super Sheene or Satin Sheene. And beeswax and mink oil doesn't really equate to a finish. Finish is actually more towards products like neat-lac, or the super sheene.

The Sheene actually does prevent or slow down the "aging" process quite abit.

I don't know, but apparently some people use beeswax +neatsfoot oil baked together as their finish. I guess it depends on how you define "finish". In my books the finish is meant to give the leather some protection as well as resistance against water. Beeswax does the job so I consider it as a finish i guess. To be honest im using beeswax mostly because I don't have access to the mainstream finishes yet :blush:. I don't consider the my stuff finished though since I don't apply a lot of beeswax (they clump together if you apply too much without baking them with oil first), but its the least I could do for now.

Im not too familiar with the mainstream finishes. I'm only speaking based on my read ups and observations so far. But I ive come to think that some resistance is good for the "aging" process, even if it slows it down. Ive been surfing some forums where people post their "aged" leather items and im not exactly impressed with how some of the completely unfinished leathers aged, especially those which had come into contact with water. They look splotchy and the patina is all "jumbled" up, for a lack of a better word. Those leather items that had some kind of finish seemed to always look better aged. But then again maybe the leather on those are just superior :dunno:

I don't know if neat lac and such will slow down the aging process drastically, but ive read that the beeswax method gives quite a natural looking "finish". I reckon pure beeswax won't do much to inhibit the aging. Perhaps this is where I shall stop my amateur ravings and let the experts step in :P

For what its worth, most of the established makers seem to apply some sort of finish to all their products, so I would play safe and do the same. But thats just me :lol:

Edited by lazybum

I guess it depends on how you define "finish".

Yeah, you are probably right. Ok, I was actually referring to finish as those which will give a lacquer-like surface to the leather, which will definitely inhibit the aging look.

I haven't tried beeswax except on edges, but i don't think it will give the same resistance to dirt as compared to the finishes I was referring to.

Ah well, we can't have the best of everything.

I make a lot of belts for people who insist on having their leather undyed and natural. Like lazybum says, it's some sort of 'cult' thing!

To avoid getting dirt and fingermarks on the the leather, I give the belt blanks two coats of Fiebing's Leather Balm with Atom Wax before I start handling them . . . seems to work for me!

I have had good luck with Carnuba wax. Wipe on, let sit, then buff off.