Sign in to follow this  
T Moore Medicine Hat Saddlery

Chap Leather Suppliers?

When you are checking around, ask about "Blacksmith leather". I think that it what you want. Sometimes the hardest part of locating the right leather for the job is knowing the name the vendors call it. Most places will send you swatches, too, if you ask. It's a good way to figure out if the leather is going to meet your needs before you commit to buying it.

Johanna

T,

A few sources out here on the west coast are Goliger Leather in Santa Barbara, CA and Hide House in Napa and San Dimas, CA. Siegels carry lots from time to time that might fit what you are looking for. Another source I would consider also is Sheridan Leather Outfitters in Sheridan WY. I know the leather you are talking about, but it is hard to tell the drapiness of it on a swatch card. A good rep from any of these should steer you right.

Bruce Johnson

I have used alot of Goliger Leathers mocassin cowhide (Smash) for chaps. It's fairly glovely, but maybe not enough for what you want? I use alot of the "walnut" which is a pretty light buckskin cream color. They used to have it darker, which I liked better. It also seems a bit drier feel than it used to which I don't like as well. I think occassionally Siegel may have what you are looking for, but you never know with them, they get in lots of leather and when it's gone they may not get it again. I hate when they get in something I really like and then they never get it again.