Sign in to follow this  
Spencer G

made this clock for my grandmother's 90th birthday

I made this clock for my grandmother's 90th birthday. I got the idea and pattern out of the Sheridan Style Carving book by Bob Likewise. The clock face came from Lee Vally Tools, and the frame is solid oak. The total time involved was about 17 hours. The only two things with which I'm unhappy are: 1) the finish cuts, I don't really have a good blade for these and know that they could have been better, and 2) one of the elements of Sheridan is having the tip of the thumbprints fade out very quickly, I did this on some of the flowers, but not all.

Any other comments are welcome.

Spencer

Clock_small.jpg

post-3132-1195087995_thumb.jpg

That's some fine carving, I really appreciate it because as much as I would like to do Sheridan, I've tried it and found I don't have the patience that it takes to do it.....

Great job you do there...

I think it looks great.

Thanks to both of you. It does take a long time, but I enjoy it. The dificult part is to get my school work done instead of my leather work.

Very nicely done. I'm sure your grandmother will love it.

I'm in the process of making some clocks now.

I know how much work you put in.

You mensioned your school work, how old are you ?

I think you did a great job. I like the way you left it natural leather color.

Keep up the good work.....

Spencer,

I found your age, I went to your profile.

That's some great work for your age.

I started doing leather work at age 18.

Took me a few years to carve like you.

Here is a good web site for clock parts, check them out.

www.klockit.com

As I said before, keep up the good work!!!

Great looking clock Spencer, I'm very impress with the carving you have done and I believe your Grandmother will just love it.

It's very refreshing to see the younger people taking an interest in leatherwork, and spending the time to practice and accomplish work such as your's, thanks for sharing.

Ken

Thanks for the kind words, and for the website from craftsman827. Unfortunately, the motif of my grandparents apartment is not at all western, but even so we were able to find a place for my creation. And even though, having not seen the steps involved, they probably didn't fully appreciate it, they did like it a lot. I started carving last January when for my birthday, I got the set of seven basic tools from Tandy and Bob Likewise's book. Since then, I've branched out into doing belts, wallets, holsters, a couple handbags, and various other things. A couple months ago, I convinced my brother to help out in the investment of a used Ferdinand 400 sewing machine, so now I can really get cooking! Eventually I hope to do at least a saddle for me and maybe more depending on how much time with which I find myself.

Thanks again for the comments,

Spencer