Hey all, i just got a stiff lizard crust in for a holster overlay...is there anything special i need to do with it...i dont plan on dying it...do i need to do anything to soften it up before i glue, sew and finish it?

I've not worked with lizard crust but have been working with some snake and caiman that were quite stiff and dry. Mixing some water, glycerin and alcohol and applying to the back of the skin, lightly, let dry for 24 hours and add another if needed has been helping to make them quite soft and supple without being oily. I did overdo the glycerin a couple of times and they stayed damp as it holds water very well. a dip in alcohol evened it out. I usually dye first and when satisfied with the dried color do the glycerin treatment. As it draws water back in the color will darken a bit so do some test pieces. It seems to give some more depth to the color and texture.

I ended up dying it..lol...the dye losened it up a bit and the contact cement made it quite pliable...