Sign in to follow this  
dirtbag77

Looking To Buy A Dozen Yards Each Of Different Linen Threads

I've had it with crusty, gooey, prewaxed thread and am moving on to something different. However, I'd like to try out the Barbour 3, 4 and 5 cord to get an idea of what each is like before I buy an entire $45 roll of one. I thought I'd give buying some small amounts from a member a shot. Also, the current run of things I've been doing are more light duty things, so I don't necessarily need to use the heaviest duty stuff these days. In fact, I'm trying to make the sewing as unobtrusive as possible, as opposed to a major point of note like I've been using it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've been getting my thread here: Royalwood They have a sample card with the various sizes for $2, well worth it. The thread itself is nice, not crusty & gooey.

Edited by Timd

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I'm gonna give those a try, though i really just want to wax my own thread. But for just 3 bucks to check out all the stock, well hell, I guarantee they've got something I like. Thanks again.

Hope this helps - Based on what you said you're doing I would recommend the 4 cord Barbours if you are going to have only one thread size.

Why? I find a fair amount of slubs in the three cord so for me there's more waste (both time and material) when using it, where as with the 4 cord it's very clean and even in comparison. I use the 4 cord even for items like my old west holsters at 8-10 SPI whereas with the 5 cord I sew at 5-6 SPI. Also with the four cord you always strip off one cord and have 3 cord..........

If you want to still try some of all three out send $5.00 and a note to:

Chuck Burrows

Wild Rose Trading Co

289 La POsta Cnyn Rd

Durango, CO 81303-9005

and I'll send you back 50-60 feet of each size......

I appreciate the advise, and the help. I'm sending the dough off for you today. Aaron.

I've been getting my thread here: Royalwood They have a sample card with the various sizes for $2, well worth it. The thread itself is nice, not crusty & gooey.

TimD ~ Those cards look worth it since I am limited in space, but I will certainly keep Chuck's info in mind when making my card selection.

Thanks for the information to both of you!