Greg528it

Sandblasting On Leather

HELLO!,

I am new to this art of leather crafting. I found your site over the weekend and have been reading reading reading. One thing that has surprised me, there has been no mention of sandblasting patterns into leather.

My other craft is sandblasting patterns into glass, rock, pretty much anything I think will take a pattern. I was making a protfolio for my wife's Surface 2 computer. and it needed some detail on the front. See the attached pictures.

I need to figure out the image sharing.

Leather portfolio 2.jpg

leather portfolio 1.jpg

20140216_173531_resized.jpg

stained leather.jpg

Tanker Holster 3.JPG

Leather work 2.JPG

Leather work 3.JPG

post-50414-0-24559600-1394478107_thumb.j

post-50414-0-85879200-1394478128_thumb.j

post-50414-0-85809000-1394478150_thumb.j

post-50414-0-03398200-1394478182_thumb.j

post-50414-0-93639400-1394478217_thumb.j

post-50414-0-83892600-1394478251_thumb.j

post-50414-0-45841500-1394478313_thumb.j

Here are some examples of some glass.

20131218_221813_resized.jpg

20131218_221612_resized.jpg

post-50414-0-23838800-1394478625_thumb.j

post-50414-0-78533300-1394478650_thumb.j

I use silicon carbide, in a Harbor Freight cabinet. Before I started I didn't think it would work at all, but had to try. It cuts pretty deep if you want it to. I was also worried it would embed in the leather fibers. It does not seem to. I only use silicon carbide since it is LESS staticy than AL oxide. I would think any material would work. As a sandblaster I steer clear of beach sand as it can contain free silica (bad for your lungs, and different from silicon)

I love the idea of sandblasting. Great lateral thinking. looks great. What system are you using?

Edited by leatheroo

How do you protect the "blasted" areas from becoming soiled? Seems like they would become dirty more easily than the smooth parts unless they are sealed somehow.

I have the harbor freight blast cabinet also, but I wear a respirator when I blast anyway, just to be safe...(I use their media too...not regular beach sand...I'm just excessively safe...)

I've been using adhesive vinyl for the patterns.. See Silhouette cutters for this. The rest I cover with plastic bagging or vinyl tape. My media is VERY dry.. and I use compressed air to clean the dust off the leather after. My other fine detail masking material (besides) the Silouhettevinyl does leave some residue, see picture of the black case. but it cleaned off easily.
But yes you may have to deal with a little dust. It's NOT perfect, but is something

The blasted areas would need to be sealed. I used Eco Flo clear gloss and it seems to work. Still experimenting.

How do you maintain an even depth?

I used to do the etching thing with our CAD. If you use the adhesive CAD paper, the paper will protect from residue or blasting anything outside of the design. Once the pattern is applied, wrap in a rag or something. A few blasts of clean air should get rid of the leftovers.

I maintain an even depth by hitting it evenly. I work my way across, then back etc. You have to work it for a few minutes, so it's not like you have to get it right the 1st time across. The longer you blast the deeper. The rule of thumb for glass is.. you can go as deep as the line is wide. At some point you may get a dribble glass :bawling: With leather you would have to work at a spot a long time to go thru. In glass we vary the depth on purpose sometimes to give it dimension, but so far I expect with leather you'll just want to get thru the top layer so you have a smooth open pore surface like the back of the piece. It'll stain darker. etc. OR just use the vinyl to mask off stain like in the example above. with the 2 Gs and 2 flames. The one flame had been moved 2-3 times and why the corners didn't stick so well.

Thanks for showing this. Like to see some of your process if possible.

I have a micro-etcher that is a small dental air abrasion unit been thinking of using for abrasion and cleaning old rusty tools during refurbishing them.

Just don't have compressed air in my garage, yet, to get it going.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'll see if I have a write up with pictures for the whole process.. It's really pretty simple. The tools are simple, BUT you kind of have to have them.

Next I'll put together some pictures of the custom leather stamps I've made.

20140204_194916_resized_1.jpg

20140219_220716_resized_1.jpg

post-50414-0-22331500-1394508567_thumb.j

post-50414-0-57017200-1394508691_thumb.j

Edited by Greg528it

I didn't pre seal the stained leather before I blasted. The seal loosened the stain the it fell into the blasted area. :( so pre seal.. or.. I should have filled with black stain before I removed the pattern.

post-50414-0-54225500-1394845789_thumb.j

post-50414-0-42747100-1394845790_thumb.j

Greg!

I've tried sending you a message via this forum the other day and have got no reply. I'm trying to track you down and hope you see this post. I've tried sandblasting some 3 oz upholstery leather with seemingly promising results, but I've got no real experience with sandblasting and therefore no knowledge of it's capabilities.

I'm wondering if you'd be interested in experimenting on some of the leather I've got (compensated of course), and depending on the results, whether or not you'd be interested in production work. Or, if this isn't your profession, you'd be willing to help out as a sandblasting consultant of sorts.

Thank you,

Casey

www.caseygunschel.com

Wow. I didn't even know you could do this to leather. Can you take some closer up pictures? How does this differ in terms of look and feel from say stamping an image? I suppose here would be more flexibility in that any pattern you design would work instead of having to have a stamp made...

Andrew