whipit

Cleaning Leather

Please help! I'm a plaiter not a stamper. I have carved and stamped to my harts content. Now I'm ready to dye my creation but find I need to clean it before I start. I have marks ie pencil on it. Please please what do I use to clean it with and where do I get it from. Have herd lemon juice is this right.

With thanks.

Gently use a pencil eraser to remove the pencil marks without damaging the surface. Lemon juice does work for bleaching leather, so does oxalic acid. May not work on pencil marks. Try it on some scrap and see if it does.

Acrylic floor cleaner/polishes will clean pencil marks and other marks off leather. Mop and Glo is a brand used in North America that is being mixed 50:50 with water and applied as an acrylic finish.

Lots of threads here about oxalic acid, lemon juice, mop and glo, cleaning leather, deglazer. If you need more info, search for them.

Deglazer may remove pencil, again, need to experiment on some scrap to be sure you get what you want.

Tom

Howdy! Please read the warning labels on the oxalic acid. You do not want to breath the fumes. Have lots of ventilation. Stan

This works better than a pencil eraser. Seriously.

p8T2ucr.jpg

Howdy! Please read the warning labels on the oxalic acid. You do not want to breath the fumes. Have lots of ventilation. Stan

I have fewer problems with oxalic acid than with the volatile solvents used in cements, dyes and lacquer finishes. As with any chemical you use, read the warnings on the labels and check out the manufacturer's MSDS sheets. Most are available online.

Oxalic acid does not need to be highly concentrated to do its job. Strength I use it at smells less than vinegar does.

Tom

I should add that the oxalic acid "dust" from the crystals would be quite dangerous rather than the weak fumes from the diluted acid. So be careful with the crystals, don't stir up a bunch of dust while measuring out what you need.

Edited by northmount

Getting my post in here to get any new updates, . . . fascinating subject.

May God bless,

Dwight