Has anyone sprayed Angelus and if so can u tell me your experiences with doing so? Did you airbrush it or did you use a mini gun? Also did you reduce it and with what? And what did you finish it with? Thanks in advance!!!

Rob-B

Hi.

I use the airgun/airbrush with great results. Angelus dyes is so pigment strong so every color (except black) I use is deluteted, sometimes more than 50%.

Most of the times I use Angelus own acryllic finisher, comes in Matte, Satin, Gloss and High gloss.

Edited by Tina

Thanks Tina, have you ever used just water...I'm wondering what's the finisher made of if it reduces but yet is a top coat as well..I guess every coat would be locked in which could be a good thing...thanks again

No water for delution, use either the Angelus reduser or a more affordable option is denture alcohol which can be bought in bigger cans over at your end of the big pond.

I only know that the finisher I talked about earlier is called "Acryllic finicher" so I guess is something similar to super sheen (?), an acryllic based top coat of sorts. I have never seen the need to reduse the finisher but I don't see why that would not work.

Thanks...I think you misunderstood...bit I. Explain things funny so sorry...my wife doesn't understand me most of the time...lol...I'm just trying to understand what chemical compound the finished is made of to be used as a reducer...Im good at over thinking... lol...thanks again

Thanks...I think you misunderstood...bit I. Explain things funny so sorry...my wife doesn't understand me most of the time...lol...I'm just trying to understand what chemical compound the finished is made of to be used as a reducer...Im good at over thinking... lol...thanks again

I think Tina was just answering both of your questions at once there. Sounds like she was saying she uses the Angelus Reducer for her colors and then when she finishes her work, she uses the Angelus Acrylic Finish. I just checked the MSDS for the Acrylic Finish and it states the product is water based, so water would be a good choice to thin it. I've never used it, but it's probably "similar" to Resolene, which is one of my primary finishes that I use and I always thin it with water. BUT, Resolene has characteristics that require thinning for a good application. I may have to pick up some Angelus and see how it reacts to my process. I'm always getting new products to test out and see first hand how they perform.

As for the dyes, the MSDS looks quite similar to Fiebing's dyes in chemical makeup (I didn't verify amounts), so denatured alcohol would be a good way to reduce it I'd think. For Fiebing's, i actually use plain old Isopropyl alcohol because I'm cheap and get good results with it.

Awesome...I've been in contact with Angelus and they are actually sending me some samples to try...the only thing that raised a red flag is when I asked for the p pages for the products they didn't have them...but I'm excited to see the results...I hate being limited when creating... and they have just about any color you can imagine!!! I'll keep everyone informed with my tests...thanks everyone...hope y'all have a great rest of the day!!!

... and they have just about any color you can imagine!!!

You really don't need that manny colors...Mix your own :-) Don't forgett a whole bunch of empty glass jars for your own mixes if you want to keep them. When I color things I have paper plates (plastic coated ones) a few drops of dye in one "corner" (or 2 if I use more than one color) and alcohol in the middle, to me this is the easy way of blending for smaller projects/details etc.

I always get a big bottle (quarter) of yellow, the most useful when mixing your own color library (greens & oranges, browns etc.). You need a good red and blue, some black and browns. The brown tones is the trickiest to mix yourself and of course a whole bunch of alcohol deluter :-) Pink is also hard to make out of the red so one of them will be a good option.

I don't by the "light" colors anymore, I just deluted the stronger ones myself, it makes the bottles go even further.

Good luck//Tina

Pink is also hard to make out of the red so one of them will be a good option.

I got a really cool pink pretty easily out of red and white, but I was using Createx Translucent colors. I just bought their primary pack for something else and ended up using it on leather when I was in a pinch. Now I've gotten to the point where I'm used to them.

For pallets, I've been experimenting with the little disposable dip cups with lids like you get for take out fast food. They have them at WalMart here. Helps me save paint if I accidentally pour out too much. But, they're not as air tight as I would like so I've been storing them in ziplock snack bags to make them keep a little longer. If they were FULL of paint it wouldn't be a problem, but since we're talking about 4 drops worth, it dries up pretty quick even though its more than enough to do extra projects with.

I got a really cool pink pretty easily out of red and white, but I was using Createx Translucent colors.

... 4 drops worth, it dries up pretty quick even though its more than enough to do extra projects with.

First I thought that I missed the white dye then I read that you used a different brand :-) Angelus red dye does not really come out a nice pink color (in my book) when deluted, it looks more like just a deluted red???

Even if the dye dries out in a container I just refill with some alcohol and "Bob's your oncle", works like a charm even if the amount might be slightly smaller than original.

Even if the dye dries out in a container I just refill with some alcohol and "Bob's your oncle", works like a charm even if the amount might be slightly smaller than original.

That's what i was doing with some other stuff and my acrylic paints. But, I have a gold paint that I really don't want to thin at all and it's $16 for a little tiny bottle, so I don't want a bunch to dry out. But, when this stuff starts to dry up I'll see if I can restore it :)

But, I bought those little disposable dip cups just for the purpose of mixing dyes and paints.

Like these - but not at this ridiculous price. They're like $3 or so for a pretty big package.

http://www.amazon.co...=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

Oh yeah, and I thought we were talking about pink ACRYLIC, not Dye...Oops

yeah, I've never found a good pink dye and don't think I'd ever try mixing one. I pretty much say "any color that's based in white at all will have to be acrylic". Now, if they've got a good pink dye, I'm all for it. I just couldn't find one when I went looking.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Oh yeah, and I thought we were talking about pink ACRYLIC, not Dye...Oops

yeah, I've never found a good pink dye and don't think I'd ever try mixing one. I pretty much say "any color that's based in white at all will have to be acrylic". Now, if they've got a good pink dye, I'm all for it. I just couldn't find one when I went looking.

The Angelus pink spirit dye is actually really good, I enclose a quick dyechart I did a few years ago, it goes from totally undeluted to way more than 50% deluted in the picture :-)

post-5624-0-13641400-1372396349_thumb.jp

The second I saw those I realized I had seen you post those in the past!!!

The things our brains forget.