Talfuchre

My first ever leather project.

After a LOT of reading, lurking on this board and others, and thinking... I decided to take on making a simply pouch sheath for my Bark River Knife and Tool blade - called an Aurora.

It came with a sheath by SharpShooter sheath's which was fine - but I wanted not only to change a few details - but make my own.

I got all of my tools and some 8 or so ounce leather and set to work. Perhaps 20 hours later (it would be much faster next time) I finished it. I think it came out okay.

It has a Chicago screw at the top so the dangler can be removed and I decided against any rivets or lanyard tubes as it seemed to detract from the look.

I learned that Oxblood dye needs about eleven billion coats to get it dark and not just red, and the sealing was a learning process. I ended sealing the inside with some supersheen and the outside with a wax and neatsfoot oil compound. I am happy with the finish and the feel of the piece.

Please tell me what you think and give me advice and links to tutorials for anything you think I could do better. I am deeply impressed by the difficulty of leather work - and my respect that do good work has skyrocketed.

Thanks,

TF

NewAuroraSheath007.jpg

NewAuroraSheath008.jpg

NewAuroraSheath009.jpg

fine looking sheath..keep up the good work. only idea i would suggest would be to

put a grommet in that hole in the bottom.

your stiching is great............ :notworthy:

NOW IT LOOKS LIKE A FINISHED PRODUCT.......IMHO.....

Great job.....I like it better without the grommet.

VERY NICE!! SHARP, CLEAN DESIGN. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING WHAT ELSE YOU'LL DO.

BY THE WAY, I LIKE YOUR PHOTO LAYOUT IN THE FIRST PICTURE. NICELY DONE!!!

Panther

Edited by PANTHER

I meant to ask, did you do the monkey fist on the lanyard? I want to learn that.

I meant to ask, did you do the monkey fist on the lanyard? I want to learn that.

Very nice work I come from an automotive upholstery background and I use a toro 3000 with 415 thread for my top stitching in the middle of my seats shown. Did you use a machine or hand stitch it

Kevin

Mtechwhitecloseupstitch.jpg

Newcreativestich.jpg

Excuuuuuuuse me.

Talfuchre- glad you found the site.

Just wanted to post on here to give my opinion on the grommet. I think for your purpose I would leave the grommet off. Either way it's one heck of a first project.

David

Good looking sheath and sweet stitching. I like it better with the grommet.

Tom

Very nice work. A fellow who's lived in the bush all his life, hunting, trapping, etc. told me that one doesn't want anything shiney as it can reflect in the sun. When I make knife cases I run a thin strip of leather about 1/4" wide along the stitched edge. This protects the stitching from the sharp blade as it's slid in and out of the sheath.

Rayban: Here's a great animated site for learning different knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com/monkeysfist/i...imatedknots.com

Dave

Thanks Dave...very cool site, I'll be using it for sure!

Great work and a tip..Prior to staining

,wipe the project down with Denatured Alcohol ,that way your stain will "set" a lot easier.It works for me!It also saves on materials(stain).

Great work and a tip..Prior to staining

,wipe the project down with Denatured Alcohol ,that way your stain will "set" a lot easier.It works for me!It also saves on materials(stain).

Nice - thanks for the advice - this is exactly the kind of stuff I need to hear. LIttle stuff that makes my work better!

TF