SCOUTER

First Sheath with my TIPPMAN...

Well, after much consideration I bought a TIPPMAN BOSS, I have a bit of a space consideration and for the projects I do I thought it would be a good first step. As you can guess I was pretty hot to get a project made so after a few minutes of messing with tension adjustments I popped out a small sheath for a knife I made. (Handle is made from Corian) I tried to do interlocking initials with my New Hermes engraving machine (draging a diamond tip across the leather). As you can see the first attempt was too small. The second attempt was larger and filled in with a gel pen. Finished with Sedgwick and sons paste (smells like animal fat) :yes:KnifeSheath1.JPG

post-5432-1201593401_thumb.jpg

That's a nice looking sheath. Very clean. Good color too.

So how do you like your Boss? My mother in law had a lunch meeting with the guys that own/run Tippman. Sounds like they want to do some direct marketing to the leather crowd. I've read good & bad in several other threads, though none of the bad stuff was hideous or anything. Sounds like the Boss works well once set up and keeps right on clunking away... just don't change the setup! Anyway, I'm curious since they are a local company.

Oh yeah, the sheath looks nice and clean! I love the engraving!

Brent

Brent, First congrats on your son being a "star" :) at 13! As for the Tippmann, I have only had it a week or so and have been having alot of fun with it! The trick is the setup of the thread tension... I guess Leather sewing machines are expensive because of the small market they cater to, I mean I could buy a top of the line Radial Arm saw for the price of a 25# sewing machine!. If you can call Tippmann and ask them for a DVD of their machines. The DVD is great! Really will help anyone make up their mind. BTW Tipmann makes a beautiful Leather embosser! After a while I will write my review on the machine and post it, as for now it's too early but so far so good. The ordering process was great, the people at Tippmann are 100%...

So how do you like your Boss? My mother in law had a lunch meeting with the guys that own/run Tippman. Sounds like they want to do some direct marketing to the leather crowd. I've read good & bad in several other threads, though none of the bad stuff was hideous or anything. Sounds like the Boss works well once set up and keeps right on clunking away... just don't change the setup! Anyway, I'm curious since they are a local company.

Oh yeah, the sheath looks nice and clean! I love the engraving!

Brent

The only place I ever saw a Tippman for sale was at a Tandy store, (and of course, ebay) so I naturally assumed it was over-priced there. I wonder how they would price them if they went directly to the leather workers.

The only place I ever saw a Tippman for sale was at a Tandy store, (and of course, ebay) so I naturally assumed it was over-priced there. I wonder how they would price them if they went directly to the leather workers.

I think they are trying to figure out how to do that direct marketing. That was part of the lunch discussion from what I gather. Tippman dropped Tandy for whatever reason.

I've got the guy's (Bob at Tippman) number and thought I'd call him, but I'm not sure what to talk about. Someday, I'd love to have something like that, but not right now. I'd like to get them looking in here for all the commentary about their machines, so they can see what issues their users are having and maybe look at design mods for future model revisions, etc. Talk about real time feedback and R&D. Who knows, maybe they are lurking right now!!

I would guess the machine cost is based on the fact that they don't sell 200 a day at wallymart, not that they are making an embarassing amount of profit on these things. One of the comments my MIL made after the meeting was Tippman thought they "made them too good". People didn't need to replace them. Sounds like Scouter made a good purchase :thumbsup:

Brent

they're the same price through the company as they were through tandy with a business license if I remember correctly from when I got mine.

Looks great to me! Very clean and nice. :red_bandana:

Did the machine leave any marks or indentions on the back of the sheath? I think I recall seeing pics of some sheaths that were made using a Tippman Boss and they had some marks on the back.

Regards,

Nick

It's funny, When I was ordering from Tippmann I had no idea I was talking to Bob Tippmann, (nephew) he was very nice and also a EAGLE Scout. =)

As for the price. They were having a "holiday Special" that included a bunch of accessories free. I have found that the price varied somewhat from store to store but at this time direct was cheapest for me.

Grunt- As for leaving marks on the back, their is a foot tension knob right on top of the machine that will add or release tension with ease. No marks here!

Ask for the DVD! It shows everything including troubleshooting the boss!

That looks NICE! I had a boss for a couple of months and HATED it. I paid 950 for it and sold it for 1000, so it turned out ok.

KK

you can download the DVD on thier website. of course theyre trying to target leather workers directly, they lost business when Tandy decided not to carry the boss anymore. Tandy was supposed to have a pro-stitcher out by the first of the year that was supposed to be comparable to the boss.now we are being told that we will not be selling the pro-stitcher at all. who knows,maybe we will go back to the boss. only time will tell.

Kevin- That was another reason I gave it a try... It's like a Harley- (hard to loose money on it) :)

Duke- I asked Bob (Tippmann) about that similar machine. He said that they had to stop selling it due to patent infringement.

A friend bought one and brought it to a knifemaker's hammer-in. He gave a demo, making a simple sheath. It was surprising just how easy it was to set up and get going. It's still machine stitching and not hand stitching, but it's pretty impressive for turning out quick and decent results.