2Deuces

Identify Age Of Leatherwork

Hello all, new member in search of a little leather work history. I am a Firefighter from WA State and acquired a ladder belt (life safety belt, pompier belt, truck belt) that appears to be quite old. I cant find any info online and only one other pic that appears to be a newer belt than mine so I thought I should break it down and look at the components and workmanship and talk to the experts. post-64626-0-63848600-1439055086_thumb.j I have more pics of the individual components and workmanship that I can upload as well if it will help.

Thanks for any help...Joe

That is a very interesting piece looking at the construction. Brass rivets.

I wish I could tell you something.

Somewhere between 1880 and 1910. Obviously hand made, probably by a harness shop on order. Nice to see they can't do brass rivets any better than I can. By 1910, the trade was moving more to factory work and a lot more automation.

That is honestly a best guess.

Art

It looks like Art is pretty accurate on the dates, I would estimate late 1800's based on some mule harnesses and other rigging I've seen. It's typical of the type of hand work that was done then, but like the other two, it's just a guess.

Chief

Pre-world war II would be my best guess. I love the crude and solid work - the stitches are a bit off and the rivets aren't perfectly peener, but it's held up all those years.

The copper rivets have a great detail with the star on the back. I wish you could still get them like that. I saw a box or two on eBay a long time ago, but I didn't win them.

Thanks for the replies, I was figuring 1890 - 1910 as well but from picture evidence, just couldn't believe it looks so good for the age. Nice to see the leather experts have the same guess.

This pic is from 1890

post-64626-0-62793500-1439237489_thumb.j

This one is c1910

post-64626-0-24043200-1439239270_thumb.j

Edited by 2Deuces