Erystawi

How Do I Do That -Monster Card Case Face?

I've been googling around, and I found some really fun deck card cases! I am now wondering -how do they do that! It looks like a lot of fun making, anyone have any ideas? post-50633-0-01145800-1397120670_thumb.j

You would need to make a mold out of wood or plastic, stretch it over the mold and use tools to create the wrinkles, plus acrylic paint for the eyes and teeth. That or you its some type of foam put in and then leather is stretched over.Looks like it would need a lot of practice before it turned out like that. But it could turn out good if you have a lot of skill painting and sculpting. Good luck.

First you will need a monster trap... talk to a kid on how to make one. Once you catch the monster you will need to skin and tan it... It gets messy.

I am guessing they used some embossing, filled the back with a plug (leather filler) and just hand formed it into shape. It looks cool.

Aaron

This is a modified case. They bought a leather Magic: The Gathering box like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004I694KO?pc_redir=1397068413&robot_redir=1

Then they used a soft thin leather to glue on top of the front flap with wrinkles in it to make it look like a face and eyelids. The eyes are probably clear cabochons with an eyeball printed on paper and glued to the back.

The person who made the one you posted did a really good job executing this. I made a belt buckle with an eyeball using the same technique (just on a smaller scale).

A monster trap, great idea! :D LOL

Yes, soft leather, forming and using maybe glass eyes, but what to put under for the mouth and eyebrow? What kind of glue?

Thank you all for the information! :)

I am guessing they used some embossing, filled the back with a plug (leather filler) and just hand formed it into shape. It looks cool.

Aaron

That's what he was telling you right there. Embossing and plugs. :)

Look up plugs and "leather putty" on this board, and on you-tube, and you'll find a lot. A leather plug is a piece of leather that is cut to shape and glued into an embossed hollow on the backside, usually with contact cement. Leather putty is a bunch of ground leather scraps or the residue from sanding, mixed with glue until it forms a paste, and is pressed into the hollows in much the same manner.

If you go to Clay B.'s tutorials and click through the Buffalo Feathers Tutorial or the Bear Paw, he has pictures or the embossing methods.

http://badlandsleatherart.com/BadlandsLeatherArtTutorials.html

The hollow is filled with leather putty on page 32 of the bear paw tutorial: http://www.leatherworker.net/bearpaw/pages/bearpaw%20%2832%29.htm

Thank you so much for filling in, I am a newby, plus I don't always understand all the english terms, but now I know what plug is :) I did'n realy understand what plug was (sorry, I am from Norway, long time since I have used english in writing).

But now you helped me break it down for me to understand :)

Thank you all!