budd4766

knife sheath with no hardware

I have been "commissioned" to create some leather knife sheaths for a knife maker. The problem is, he wants the sheath to just fit over the blade, (not up the handle), and does not want any snaps, or flaps, or anything on it.

Ok, I can do that. But...how to I make one that will stay on the blade with nothing but the fit of the blade to hold it on? I know I can make one for him, it's fairly simple. I was just wondering if there was any tips or tricks you guys might know of to make it fit tight enough to stay on. I think I may be able to do that, but knowing the properties of leather, how long will that fit last?

Any ideas?

Budd

It will be much easier for everyone to give suggestions or ideas if we could see

what the knife looks like. Any chance you can post a pic of the knife??

JoAnn

Budd

It will be much easier for everyone to give suggestions or ideas if we could see

what the knife looks like. Any chance you can post a pic of the knife??

JoAnn

I won't post a pic of his knife, because I don't have permission to do that, but here's one commercially available that is very similar in shape. (If I can get this to work right)

knifex.jpg

post-6892-1235506351_thumb.jpg

This knife appears to be too handle heavy to be held in a sheath without

covering part of the handle or using some kind of retaining strap. The only

thing i can think of is to find out if it's steel or stainless steel. If it's steel

you could use a magnet, but to do that you will need to put a liner in the

sheath to protect the blade from becoming scratched. Maybe some of the

knifemakers/sheath makers will have a better idea.

JoAnn

I'd had the same "magnet" thought, myself, and that's a suggestion I'm going to talk over with the guy, but from our last conversation, he doesn't want anything but a leather "cover" for the blade. Personally, I'd put a slanted strap over the edge and a snap, if it were my knife, but he doesn't want that.

Right now, (and somebody please tell me if I'm on the right track), I'm thinking of:

1. Cutting a piece of thick leather to fold over and lace for the sheath.

2. Then, (may not be the correct term), "gouge" out the fold line on the inside (to help it fold flatter).

3. Take a safety beveler and bevel each side of that fold line to form a wide "V".

4. Bevel the edges to make them thinner on the "edge side" and leave the thickness in the part of the sheath that contacts the sides of the blade to make a friction "fit".

I have to put a strip of leather in for the edge to slide down, and lace through all of it. Think that'd work?

I'll post pics when I get one close to done, but this is the only way I can think of so far.

First rule of custom work..."Do what the customer asks".

Don't complicate it, overthink it, or try to compensate. Make one as per the customer, let him try it out, use it for awhile. Tell him what you think will happen (you can do this before you make it, but they wont believe you), then let him come back and tell you if that's what he was wanting, or...make the changes you suggest.

You can't use this approach with larger projects, but for a simple sheath with the potential for multiple orders, it's worth trying.

First rule of custom work..."Do what the customer asks".

Don't complicate it, overthink it, or try to compensate. Make one as per the customer, let him try it out, use it for awhile. Tell him what you think will happen (you can do this before you make it, but they wont believe you), then let him come back and tell you if that's what he was wanting, or...make the changes you suggest.

You can't use this approach with larger projects, but for a simple sheath with the potential for multiple orders, it's worth trying.

Good advice, thanks!

I did one that just folded over the blade I wet moulded it sewed it up and put a copper rivet through the top rear corner. It only covered the blade and rested on the flat tang or hand protector or what ever they call it. It was a very tight fit, actually popped in place where the leather formed to the indent in the blade. I also think the maker will change his mind after you make one to his spec.

Ok...finished a "PROTOTYPE" sheath, (so be gentle). It fits really tight...now...not sure if it'll stay that way once it's got some wear on it, but for now, it's good and tight.

Also, I'm going to experiment with the vinegar/rusty nail concoction listed elsewhere on this forum for the next one I make. The black gel antique just doesn't cut it for me. Can't get an even coating out of it. I may switch to an more intricate braiding too. This one doesn't quite cover the 3 thicknesses of leather like I think it needs.

Here's some pics.

leather1_018sm.jpg

leather1_021sm.jpg

leather1_022sm.jpg

post-6892-1235703692_thumb.jpg

post-6892-1235703735_thumb.jpg

post-6892-1235703756_thumb.jpg