bigo5552000

Just got my great grandfather's leather kit (pics)

I was visiting my parents house this weekend and I was talking with my dad about getting started in leather working. well my mom heard me say that and she said "You now your great grandfather did that?" I said "nope". she said me grandmother had it and had been wondering who to give it to and said she would probably want to give it to me! so I called her to see if she would let me have it and she was soo excited someone was interested in having it! once I got it i immediately start to look threw it and the stuff that came with it! he was very old when he got this in april of 1969 for $13.95. i have all the receipts for everything he ever bought at tandy! and all his templates and some of his projects! i have one question do yall think it is ok to us the stamps and other tools in the kit? also what is the tool with the U-shaped thing on top? well here are the pics sorry about the quality camera phone!

more pics

img277.jpg

img278.jpg

img279.jpg

img280.jpg

img281.jpg

img282.jpg

img283.jpg

img284.jpg

img285.jpg

img286.jpg

img287.jpg

img288.jpg

img289.jpg

img290.jpg

img291.jpg

img292.jpg

img293.jpg

img294.jpg

img295.jpg

img297.jpg

img298.jpg

img299.jpg

img300.jpg

img301.jpg

img302.jpg

post-11909-125480992335_thumb.jpg

post-11909-12548099287_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125480993557_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125480994148_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125480994815_thumb.jpg

post-11909-12548099561_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125480996809_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125480997643_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125480999958_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481000915_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481002304_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481004457_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481006003_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481007049_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481008521_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481009824_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481011276_thumb.jpg

post-11909-12548101235_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481014353_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481016053_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481023929_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481024502_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481025044_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481026242_thumb.jpg

post-11909-125481027281_thumb.jpg

that is a swivel knife in the 11th pic. the stamps should be good to go IMO

what a treasure!!!

You just received the BEST gift your Grandfather could ever give! That's an awesome kit! It's especially cool with all those receipts. Here's something to think about, that whole kit cost your grandfather $13.95 in 1969. Now, 40 years later, to buy everything in that kit would probably cost you $200.00! The tools (Basic 7 Tools) cost $40 at Tandy! The patterns alone are priceless! Your grandfather is sitting in heaven right now smiling like a Cheshire cat!

Whether or not I think you should use the tools?? Hell yes you should use the tools! That's why they are there! The tool with the "U" shaped top thing is called a Swivel Knife or Finger Knife. You'll use it to cut your patterns into the leather. The other tools are stamps and the small pencil shaped tool is your Modeling Stylus. You'll use the pointed end of it to trace your patterns onto the leather and the wide flat end to do precise beveling and finish work!

Congratulations on your terrific gift!

Too cool man! You should make some kind of "shadow box" kind of frame and put all the papers and stuff in and hang that stuff on the wall!!!! USE THE TOOLS!!!!!!

Phillip Sims

thanks! oh and the purse and wallet and change purse are things he did!

That is a wonderful gift from your grandmother. Use every bit of it you can. I have received tools and patterns from people that I am not even related to but the best thing you can give them is the thought that you will use it. Practice for a while and make something for your grandmother to say thank you.

That is a wonderful gift from your grandmother. Use every bit of it you can. I have received tools and patterns from people that I am not even related to but the best thing you can give them is the thought that you will use it. Practice for a while and make something for your grandmother to say thank you.

i think i will do that very thing?

I bought the same kit about that same time, how old would your grand dad be today, Thank you for sharing the pictures They brought back many fond memories for me!,

Wow does that ever bring back memories. That was my first kit. Wish I still had the box! I talked to my teacher/mentor about 10 years ago about the tools we had back then. He told me, let me show you something. What he showed me was a rack of all the tools we used back then in Jr. High School. What was even better, he gave me all the duplicates that he had. What a peice of history for me. Of course I still have them and use them.

That is neat. I bought my first kit the "Lucky 7" in 1965. I did all the projects and then put it away because I could not aford to buy any more projects. I was 17. I walk a lot of ditches to pick up pop bottle to get the money. Now 43 years later, I dug out the tools and have started doing leahter work again. I am busy making items for my two grand daughters they are 2 years old. I had kept everything like your grandfather including the little blue credit slips that you got if you over paid. I have one for 13 cents and for 22 cents. I even have the catalogs from then. Enjoy your tools and have many happy hours using them.

Rich

This is the same kit (maybe a differnt picture on the box) that I started with in the early 70's. I recognize the projects and the tools, I would definitely use the tools, they are better quality that what you would replace them with today from the same company (Tandy). Tandy still sells that same book that was in the kit. Since you didn't recognize the swivel knife I recommend you visit the Tandy Leather Factory web site and go to the bottom of the list on the left to "Leather Working Videos", there are several basic videos there including one on how to use and care for a swivel knife as well as another on basic carving which will show how to use the tools. You might want to think about buying a ceramic blade for the swivel knife (they don't require sharpening, just stropping). There is better info avaialble on leather working but the videos by George Hurst on the Tandy website are free and informative for beginners.

Welcome to the world of Leather,

Ken

Too cool, I have all of the leatherworking stuff that my Mom used. Use the tools, that is what they were made for. You can't hurt them unless you use a metal hammer on them. Cruise this site, and read all you can about the tools, and how to use them correctly. If taken care of, those tools will outlast you. See if your local Tandy has classes, a lot of them do. You may also check to see if there is a leather worker guild in the area.

I have also bought tools from estates where no one in the family had an interest in leatherworking. They were happy to see them go to a good home. Funny how tools are treated differently than other items.

Thats kinda funny, I got pretty much the same kit that my gradparents sent me that used to be my greatgrandpa's too. The thing that was different about the kit is that it doesnt have the belt or the thing beside it. None of the projects were missing and made my first project the wallet from it. There was some catalogs, books, and a ton of patterns in it too.

That is a terrific gift. I hope one of my children/grand children get and use my tools someday. I'd use everything there.... except your grandfather's projects. Save those as inspiration and try to do as well or better than he did.

Do not use a hammer on those tools, use that wooden mallet in the kit!

Congrats on the great family treasure.... pass it on to your kids ..... after you use it for 20 or 30 years.

David

Use the tools. As others have ssaid, they are likely better than today's. I bought my first tools in 1960 when I was in grade 9. Couldn't afford the kit so had to be very selective about what I bought. I still have patterns from then, some of the same ones as in your photos. Every 10 years or so I have decided to make something and added a few tools along the way.

A few years ago I was in a pawn shop and there was a tandy tool box like a fishing tackle box. It was loaded with saddle stamps, a few swivel knives and a few other odds and ends. There were about 70 stamps. Bought the whole batch for $125. Found many of the stamps are duplicates. It was probably from a school that included leatherwork in industrial arts and has now dropped it like too many schools have. Anyhow it was a good deal for me. Might run a couple mini classes for my grandkids since there are multiples of the basic tools.

Now that I'm retiring in a few months, I expect to get back to more serious work. (Did 3 protfolios for my kids for Christmas 2010. Didn't know if I could get them done in time to start with, but did beat the clock.)

What an awesome treasure! Congrats!

:D

God Bless, Ray

How wonderful for you, I'm sure your granddad is smiling and doing back flips because his gear is being put to good use.

I'd like to share some good fortune too...about a month ago I was at the local Tandy shop and a gentleman walked in asking the manager if the shop took in any old tools or if he knew of someone who would use his dads tools because his father had passed away, well like a third grader with the right answer or whos gotta pee my hand shot up in the air and I said me, me, me, me!!!!!! Well we talked and exchanged information and a few weeks later I recieved this:

001-16.jpg

002-13.jpg

003-14.jpg

004-12.jpg

005-9.jpg

He didn't want anything for the tools and I also recieved some books and patterns for different projects. This stuff was from the 70's!!!

well needless to say I have enjoyed using my new tools.

Thanks for letting me share

Jazz