ATTACKATTACKATTACK

Newbie Wants To Start A Belt And Possible Wallet Project

Gooday!

First post here, so I hope I am doing things right! Very excited to start off on this.

I'd like to start my first project. My idea was to do a Wallet as my first project, but reading through everything here so far a Belt seems like a more realistic and possible kick off to this great hobby. I'd like to do just a simple belt with some edging and have some creasing just in from the outside of the belt.

I have at the moment no tools, no leather, and no experience. So I was hoping people here could suggest me a few avenues for all of them. I've seen the pictorial instructional on making a belt and will likely follow that one to a T. What I am basically looking for in direction is:

Which tools should I get for this?

Which leather would you suggest and how much of it?(I have measured as to the diagram in the pictorial and I have a 37inch waist.)

Are there anymore interesting instructional information on belts around that might help me out?

And basically any other tips or suggestions or even hellos you have for a newbie.

To give you a project line for what I'd like to do to possible suggest tools for down the line too. I'd like to make a belt, a wallet, and hopefully later down the road a camera case for an old film camera I shoot with. My budget is around 100$-200 for the startup costs. I could spend more, but I don't know how much I will like this type of craft so I don't want to overbuy out of the gate.

Thanks in advance for the response!

Gooday!

First post here, so I hope I am doing things right! Very excited to start off on this.

I'd like to start my first project. My idea was to do a Wallet as my first project, but reading through everything here so far a Belt seems like a more realistic and possible kick off to this great hobby. I'd like to do just a simple belt with some edging and have some creasing just in from the outside of the belt.

I have at the moment no tools, no leather, and no experience. So I was hoping people here could suggest me a few avenues for all of them. I've seen the pictorial instructional on making a belt and will likely follow that one to a T. What I am basically looking for in direction is:

Which tools should I get for this?

Which leather would you suggest and how much of it?(I have measured as to the diagram in the pictorial and I have a 37inch waist.)

Are there anymore interesting instructional information on belts around that might help me out?

And basically any other tips or suggestions or even hellos you have for a newbie.

To give you a project line for what I'd like to do to possible suggest tools for down the line too. I'd like to make a belt, a wallet, and hopefully later down the road a camera case for an old film camera I shoot with. My budget is around 100$-200 for the startup costs. I could spend more, but I don't know how much I will like this type of craft so I don't want to overbuy out of the gate.

Thanks in advance for the response!

I am a newbie also..but here is a thought! You'll need a piece of marble or pounding board...you can buy leather belt strips with the snaps and slots already cut at a decent price.

Purchase a basket weave stamp...border stamp.. ..a edger...a border creaser..a mallet... a swivel knife and perhaps some dye ..... this will get you pretty well started . I think at a decent out flow of your hard earned dollars.

A learner ..Craig h

My first belt cost me over $200. It was worth it.

If I was trying this out and wanted a simple belt, and was trying not to spend a ton, I would get the following:

Pre-cut belt blank with snaps from Tandy

Keeper Kit from Tandy

Adjustable Crease from Tandy

#2 Edger from Tandy

Utility knife with a fresh razor blade from tool box.

Dye small container from Tandy

Saddle Soap- from my shoeshine kit

Top Coat finish- Small container from Tandy

Buckle from Tandy

Read the tutorials on how to do edges and how to do make a belt in the how to section. Spend several hours making the belt. Let the finishes dry, and wear your belt. This was where I went back to Tandy and got stamping tools, a stone, and books. Looking back, just get the books your first few rounds.

The starter kits available at Tandy are a perfect way to get started I think. The Deluxe Starter Kit is on sale right now. It comes with both a belt kit and wallet kit along with all the tools you need to start out. I would also pick up a bag of tooling leather remnants for $10. That gives you a pound of scrap to practice on very cheap. With shipping that would run you something around $100, and would keep you busy for awhile.