Just finished this full size pad folio. Made in three pieces from 6/7 HO with stiffeners in the leaves, The interior is made from 2/3 oz kip. All sewing is with 69 thread @ 11 stitches per inch. All critiques and comments are welcomed!

post-7682-003486600 1308118382_thumb.jpgpost-7682-037837100 1308118380_thumb.jpgpost-7682-083728300 1308118382_thumb.jpg post-7682-054230800 1308119048_thumb.jpg

Edited by hidepounder

It's just beautiful Bob. I really like the the way you work the profile design of the spine and even the profile of the snap flap into the cover design. And there is a real sense of fun in the way your leaves and stems intertwine with each other. And the carving on the interior is exceptional. I also appreciate you telling us the weight of the leather, etc. Could you also share what you've done for the finish...dye color, antique color, finish? Your work is a real inspiration. Thanks for posting.

Dave

Just finished this full size pad folio. Made in three pieces from 6/7 HO with stiffeners in the leaves, The interior is made from 2/3 oz kip. All sewing is with 69 thread @ 11 stitches per inch. All critiques and comments are welcomed!

post-7682-003486600 1308118382_thumb.jpgpost-7682-037837100 1308118380_thumb.jpgpost-7682-083728300 1308118382_thumb.jpg post-7682-054230800 1308119048_thumb.jpg

bob as always you have done another beautiful piece of work, you forgotten to mention that you built and tooled, this beautiful piece in just 3 days. it would have taken me 3 weeks. also everbody can view this work of art this weekend, on line under (art of the cowboy makers ) in the leather carving section. again bob another beautful piece. john ivy

Pretty cool, Bob. Clean and smooth as always. I guess I need to get out to my shop and practice more.

Ross Brunk

Ok.....I've now seen John's entry in the Art of the Cowboy Maker's show, and then Bob shows his entry.

In the rodeo business, if a guy has one drawn he can't win on he's got 3 options. A). Just turn out. (responsible for entry fees and a turn out fine). B) Visible Injury (Judge looks at injury, fills out a report. Not responsible for turn out fines, but have to pay entry fees). C) Doctor's Release (Need a signed form from a doctor. Not allowed to enter for 2 weeks).

There may an accident occuring in the shop today!!

Dadgum, ya'll are scaring "the rookie". And, so far, I've only seen John and Bob"s work. I may seriously be entered a little deep.

Anyway, kudos gentlemen on fabulous pieces of work. I guess they do pay 3 holes. Maybe I'll slip in for a bottom hole.

As always Bob, incredible work!! The flow of your flowers, leaves and stems are perfect. Love the "finger cut" scroll work inside. The attention to details you put into a piece is "first class"!!

I have a couple questions;

What materials are you using for your antique? I am sure a lot of color is burnishing in your tooling but the rest of the leather has a rich tone to it that is beatiful!

And second; Does having the stitches so close together (11 per inch) weaken the seam? It must be working for you or you would not do it. I have always read that if they are to close in leather that it will make the seam rip like perferated paper?

Your work is an inspiration and I have always admired it from when you started posting here on LW. You have always been very generious with sharing your techniques and we all appreciate the time you take to share.

Thanks for posting,

Rick J.

Bobby,

As always your work is as near to perfection as I have ever witnessed.

I sit in awe every time I study one of your pieces.

ferg

As always Bob, incredible work!! The flow of your flowers, leaves and stems are perfect. Love the "finger cut" scroll work inside. The attention to details you put into a piece is "first class"!!

I have a couple questions;

What materials are you using for your antique? I am sure a lot of color is burnishing in your tooling but the rest of the leather has a rich tone to it that is beatiful!

And second; Does having the stitches so close together (11 per inch) weaken the seam? It must be working for you or you would not do it. I have always read that if they are to close in leather that it will make the seam rip like perferated paper?

Your work is an inspiration and I have always admired it from when you started posting here on LW. You have always been very generious with sharing your techniques and we all appreciate the time you take to share.

Thanks for posting,

Rick J.

Hi Rick,

I use Fiebings paste antique and I use NeatLac as a resist and a final finish. On the sewing what you were told is correct and so you have to keep that in mind. I prefer the look of the finer thread and closer spacing. In this case I am using a very light thread on a pretty small needle. Also there is no stress anywhere on any of the seams. You wouldn't sew a stirrup leather onto a fender this way though, LOL!

bob as always you have done another beautiful piece of work, you forgotten to mention that you built and tooled, this beautiful piece in just 3 days. it would have taken me 3 weeks. also everbody can view this work of art this weekend, on line under (art of the cowboy makers ) in the leather carving section. again bob another beautful piece. john ivy

John is being kind, lol, this took me several days to make!

And thanks to all of you for your kind comments!

Edited by hidepounder

Amazing! I am looking forward to getting to see this in person this weekend.

Bob

Hey Bobby, again your work never ceases to amaze and inspire me, as well as others. The whole piece is beautiful, and the edges are just perfect. I recently made a piece that was laced useing two colors of lace, I was slicking the edge and my wife asked me why all the extra work that would not be seen. Itold her that I would know that it is there and from seeing work such as you do, it was the right way to finish the buckle. My edges are not like yours, but I'm working on them. I got to get some new glasses before I can carve much now, hope to get the app. in the next week or so. With my diabetes I can't just go anywhere and get the eyes done, so have to wait sometimes, LOL, they don't get in a hurry around here. Anyway really great work and I so enjoy seeing your beautiful pieces, thanks for sharing with us, I only wish I could see more of it. Billy P

Well Bob, as always your work is impecable, and serves as goal for all of us. I love to study your work, because every time I do I find some additional little feature that I want to incorporate into my own work, and even though it takes me a lot of practice to get it in, my work is better, for incorperating it. Please continue to post your work.

Thanks for giving us all the insperation.

Bob

Bob, Your work is unbelievable! Every time I see a new piece by you, It amazes me. As a newbie to leather working i can only say, I wish I would have discovered this craft earlier. There's so much to learn, and I'm having a blast!

Congrats! at the Art Of The Cowboy Makers.

You do beautiful work. Billy

Your artistic creativity and attention to detail is inspiring. I cant stop looking at it....OUTSTANDING WORK!!!!!

:clapping:

WoW! Another Awesome and Inspiring piece!

And as usual your edges just Gleam!

Say, have you ever thought about writing a book or making a How To DVD collection?

I would buy anything you published about leather work.

:thumbsup:

WOW !!!

LOVE YOUR WORK, BOB.

Can you tell me how you did the flower center on the middle flower, It's the same on 2 other flowers of the case?

It just looks so cool, like a pin wheel.

GREAT WORK. KEEP POSTING. It's very inspiring.

WOW !!!

LOVE YOUR WORK, BOB.

Can you tell me how you did the flower center on the middle flower, It's the same on 2 other flowers of the case?

It just looks so cool, like a pin wheel.

GREAT WORK. KEEP POSTING. It's very inspiring.

Thanks! That flower center is one of Barry Kings and then I try to enhance it a little. I like the flower center, however it was a poor choice for that particular flower.

Very beautiful carving. I'm always studying carvings. I like Chuck Stormes, Jeremiah Watt, Rick Bean, Taka Fine Leather, Kawazairyo, Tessoh Leather and Links, Jim Jackson, Robert Beard, Al Shelton, Al Stohlman, Chuck Smith, Oh Yeah I forgot Lefty's Leathercraft Blog. A very interesting Blog is by Jeremiah Watt. He makes his own saddle trees, saddle hardware, silver engravings, and his own leather stamps. On day I might visit you when I'm down in Phoenix. I used to hang out at Ellis Barnes down at Elfrida.

Eddie,

Unfortunately Jeremiah's Western Folklife blog hasn't been updated in more than 3 years. There are other saddlemakers on here that make their own trees and some that also do engraving.

Regards,

Ben

Eddie,

Unfortunately Jeremiah's Western Folklife blog hasn't been updated in more than 3 years. There are other saddlemakers on here that make their own trees and some that also do engraving.

Regards,

Ben

That's right Ben, I was just going to mention that Troy West, for one, makes his own trees and builds and engraves his own silver also.

Bob,

He's one of a few that does it all. He's a very talented man for sure and an inspiration to many. Wouldn't you have liked to be one of their roommates when they started out together.? It would have been interesting to say the least.

Regards,

Ben

Master Bob,

Some day I will do it just as fine as you, some day .........

Bob,

He's one of a few that does it all. He's a very talented man for sure and an inspiration to many. Wouldn't you have liked to be one of their roommates when they started out together.? It would have been interesting to say the least.

Regards,

Ben

Boy I'll say i would have liked to have been there! And I don't mind admitting he is one of the artists who I watch closely...he is a real inspiration for me for sure!

Bobby