Sign in to follow this  
Ian1783

Consew 206Rb-3 Presser-Foot Issue – Diagram

I'm in the process of upgrading my Consew 206RB-3 (waiting for info from Bob on new servo motor, etc.), and one of the issues I'm hoping to rectify (if, indeed, it is an issue) has to do with the position of the inside foot in relation to the needle, feed dog and needle plate.

I've drawn a diagram that I hope clarifies the issue; it can be seen here: http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

The machine is fitted with a single-toe presser foot. The inside foot seems to favor the right side of the feed dog. This positions the needle toward the left side of the hole in the inside foot, though the needle seems to be positioned, correctly, through the center of the feed dog. My questions are: is this an issue? Is the inside foot improperly made or bent (it doesn't appear to be)? Are there different inside feet styles or configurations? Are new feet, both inside and presser, expensive?

As the inside foot follows the feed dog toward the rear of the machine, it's riding on top of the feed dog until the feed dog begins to drop just below the level of the needle plate. As the feed dog descends, the inside foot, still riding on the feed dog, follows it to just below the surface of the needle plate, just before it begins its ascent in the cycle. At that point when the feed dog drops, the inside foot comes into contact with the needle plate by just a hair. It then has to move ever so slightly to the left as it follows the feed dog. At this point, its in contact with the needle plate, where I would think it shouldn't be touching the needle plate at all (I'm hoping my diagram illustrates the issue). I only have the one inside foot, so I'm not able to A-B the situation.

Sorry about any misuse of terminology. I'm coming from vintage domestic machines.

With this issue resolved, and with a new servo motor, I'm hoping to find I have a well-mannered and properly setup machine that both my wife and I can use.

Ian

SF Bay Area

http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

Edited by Ian1783

Wiz or Bob will probably post the fix but..... It seems to me that you need to loosen the screw in the clamp on the foot, move the foot slightly so it can clear the needle, tighten clamp. I assume you have changed the needle, made sure the needle is installed correctly, etc. Slightly disfigured needles cause a multitude of problems.

ferg

I'm in the process of upgrading my Consew 206RB-3 (waiting for info from Bob on new servo motor, etc.), and one of the issues I'm hoping to rectify (if, indeed, it is an issue) has to do with the position of the inside foot in relation to the needle, feed dog and needle plate.

I've drawn a diagram that I hope clarifies the issue; it can be seen here: http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

The machine is fitted with a single-toe presser foot. The inside foot seems to favor the right side of the feed dog. This positions the needle toward the left side of the hole in the inside foot, though the needle seems to be positioned, correctly, through the center of the feed dog. My questions are: is this an issue? Is the inside foot improperly made or bent (it doesn't appear to be)? Are there different inside feet styles or configurations? Are new feet, both inside and presser, expensive?

As the inside foot follows the feed dog toward the rear of the machine, it's riding on top of the feed dog until the feed dog begins to drop just below the level of the needle plate. As the feed dog descends, the inside foot, still riding on the feed dog, follows it to just below the surface of the needle plate, just before it begins its ascent in the cycle. At that point when the feed dog drops, the inside foot comes into contact with the needle plate by just a hair. It then has to move ever so slightly to the left as it follows the feed dog. At this point, its in contact with the needle plate, where I would think it shouldn't be touching the needle plate at all (I'm hoping my diagram illustrates the issue). I only have the one inside foot, so I'm not able to A-B the situation.

Sorry about any misuse of terminology. I'm coming from vintage domestic machines.

With this issue resolved, and with a new servo motor, I'm hoping to find I have a well-mannered and properly setup machine that both my wife and I can use.

Ian

SF Bay Area

Thanks Ferg,

I'm thinking I was overthinking the issue. You had me see things in a different light: it dawned on me that, as the foot proper (the sole?) is offset from the clamp center, both the heel and toe of the foot would tend to move away from the needle plate. I had in mind that as the foot pivoted, the toe would swing away from the needle plate as the heel would swing even more over the needle plate. Looks like I was wrong. I merely swiveled the foot so the needle was centered in the foot hole. There may still be just a touch of contact between the foot and plate, but no more than before, and the needle is better position in relation to the hole in the foot.

I only have the one needle. It came with the machine. I haven't sourced them yet, but figure when I order my motor from Bob, I'll order needles as well.

Ian

SF Bay Area