Vangy

29K70 Threading

I am a long time lurker, finally making a post as I need help.

I have been very fortunate to purchase a 29K70 head (no base, the couple who owned the machine turned the base into a table {aaaaaaakkkk}). After much cleaning and oiling the wheel is turning reasonably smoothly and all parts appear to be in working order. I have a treadle base from a domestic machine that I intend to modify to work as a base, not the same I know -- I do not expect to get the same amount of power that a proper base would provide.

The manual has this important piece of information on the first page, and I quote: "NOTE: Machines are threaded when sent from the factory, and the operator should note carefully the manner in which this is done before removing the thread from the needle." Of course, the couple I bought the machine from did not have it threaded and it appeared to have set idle for many years.

I have never used a threading wire and do not understand where the wire should pass through.

If it helps any, the machine is from 1945.

I plan to use the machine for medieval turned shoes in 3-4 oz leather.

Hi Vangy

Welcome to the Forum!

Take a look at this thread: http://leatherworker...=1entry134725, where I've posted a pdf file of the Singer 29K instruction manual. It may not be for your particular model, but they are all pretty much the same.

The thread needs to pass down the vertical tunnel in the needle bar - just below the take-up lever at the top of the machine. You'll need a threading wire, about 1mm thick and 300mm long, with a v-shaped nick in the end. I think the manual should make it all fairly clear!

Terry

Thanks for the welcome, Terry.

I have the actual 29k70 manual. The manual says to pay attention to how the machine was treaded when it arrived from the factory. Sure could use a visual (photo), as the manual is in a poor state -- I can read it just fine, but the illustrations are not clear.

Thanks for the description of where the wire is to pass through. None of my machines have required a wire before.

I may have the opportunity to see how a patcher should be set up in person in 2 weeks, when I pick up a new set of needles, tire, and of course threading wires from the only industrial sewing dealer/supplier/repair place in the province. He is only open Monday - Friday and I have commitments Monday to Friday.

Thanks for the welcome, Terry.

I have the actual 29k70 manual. The manual says to pay attention to how the machine was treaded when it arrived from the factory. Sure could use a visual (photo), as the manual is in a poor state -- I can read it just fine, but the illustrations are not clear.

Thanks for the description of where the wire is to pass through. None of my machines have required a wire before.

I may have the opportunity to see how a patcher should be set up in person in 2 weeks, when I pick up a new set of needles, tire, and of course threading wires from the only industrial sewing dealer/supplier/repair place in the province. He is only open Monday - Friday and I have commitments Monday to Friday.

You can use a piece of fine Fuse Wire as I used to do years ago before I obtained the correct item to do the job.

Tony.

Sure could use a visual (photo), as the manual is in a poor state -- I can read it just fine, but the illustrations are not clear.

I'll try to take some pictures when I'm at the shop tomorrow.

Terry

Vangy

Here are some pictures of the head of the 29K, showing the path of the thread.

Around the vertical post A, between the tension discs B, through the wire loop C, up through the take-up lever D, and down the tunnel in the needle-bar. At the bottom of the needle-bar, the thread passes through the needle from left to right.

. . . and away you go . . !

Terry

Singer1.jpg

Singer2.jpg

post-7199-126481737267_thumb.jpg

post-7199-126481738641_thumb.jpg

Wow - thank you! Those are nice clear pictures and they have helped clear up my threading confusion.

mine didn't come with a threading wire either and I made one posted in another forum from #11 or #12 guitar string folded around a screwdriver and let it hang from a vice and twisted it tight. It's a little floppier than the originals but it worked for me. I hope you have less trouble finding bolts to fit the threads on the base than i did but it all works good for me, homemade belt and all....i like those old things

bike.gif Hi! Download manuals from singerco.com http://parts.singerco.com/ under industrial products!

Trox

I am a long time lurker, finally making a post as I need help.

I have been very fortunate to purchase a 29K70 head (no base, the couple who owned the machine turned the base into a table {aaaaaaakkkk}). After much cleaning and oiling the wheel is turning reasonably smoothly and all parts appear to be in working order. I have a treadle base from a domestic machine that I intend to modify to work as a base, not the same I know -- I do not expect to get the same amount of power that a proper base would provide.

The manual has this important piece of information on the first page, and I quote: "NOTE: Machines are threaded when sent from the factory, and the operator should note carefully the manner in which this is done before removing the thread from the needle." Of course, the couple I bought the machine from did not have it threaded and it appeared to have set idle for many years.

I have never used a threading wire and do not understand where the wire should pass through.

If it helps any, the machine is from 1945.

I plan to use the machine for medieval turned shoes in 3-4 oz leather.