Sign in to follow this  
wolvenstien

marble or granite

I have the 1 1/2 inch thick by 12 inch square slab that I got from Tandy, but it seems small for some of the larger carving pieces I want to do. So I found a 2 foot by 3 foot slab out in my back yard that had been there for who knows how long, I bought the house 4 years ago and it was out there when we bought the house. I grabbed it up and got to looking at it, I scrubbed it clean with dish detergent and water and got all the dirt off it, but it is pitted and I fear it will harm the cased leather if I try to tool on this the way it is. What I am wondering is if there is some type of poly cote I can put on it that will smooth it out and allow me to tool on it without fear of it harming the cased leather. If not some type of poly something else I can cote the slab with to seal it and make it usable for tooling...

Anything you folks can come up with is much appreciated! Thanks

Mike

I've always gone to monument companies. Out back they have stones that are chipped, or they spelled the name wrong, etc. Usually they will let you have anything you want off the scrap pile, no charge. You want a smooth stone, granite or marble, or pieces might flake off and become embedded in the wet leather. The pits might mark the leather, too. I don't know of anything to seal stone, but there should be something like liquid glass that might work, although I wouldn't be surprised if the hammering cracked the finish one day. Let us know what you decide!

Johanna

I hadnt thought about a monument company... there are several around here too... Not sure if they do the work themselves or if they piece it out, but it is worth a shot to stop by and check with them....

Thanks for the idea!

You might also try the places that do kitchen cabinet work. I recently got a 18 x 24 inch, 1.5" thick, piece of granite that was left over from a previous job. The cost was $20. They had a large amount of various sizes and colors available.

Mike,

My best piece of granite is a broken headstone. I am using the bottom surface. It is not polished like the top. They gave me the piece, and told me if I wanted it polished, they could do it for something like $15. Decided to see how it was as is. I like it better than my other rocks, pieces don't slide around as easily on it from little incidental movements or hitting stamps when tipped for partial impressions. If the pits aren't too bad, I would try it first. I have stamped on chipped marble slabs that were provided at a couple classes, they will give erratic results if you are not having full contact under the stamp. One thing for sure, you will like bigger slab, especially if it is a least 2-1/2" or better.

Bruce Johnson

If you have a choice between marble or granite always choose granite because it is a MUCH tougher material. Marble will chip and crack quite easily. I have seen many marble slabs crack or chip.

Anther consideration for granite tooling slabs would be "B" grade surface plates. I would suggest a ledged type so that you can get your hands under the edges. It makes it much easier to move the surface plate around when you have the ledges. Places where you could pick these up are at places like Grizzly, Enco and other machine tool companies.

Regards,

Ben

You're right about marble chipping, etc. I had a piece of the 12x12x1" Tandy used to sell, and it was leaning against the chair I was sitting on. It fell over, flat on the floor (linoleum) and split right in half!!! I should mention I'd had the marble for a few years, but still it was a bit of a surprise!

I never thought about the monument idea...that's pretty good! Good savings too. I use the old tandy 6x12x2 polished granite (at least I obtained it from a Tandy). I keep it flat on the floor (it's my 'in house' tooling slab) wrapped in a soft towel when not in use. I would like a bigger one for the shop though.

But, like Bruce said, Give the stone a try if it's not too bad.

If it is and you're willing to spend a few bucks, you can go to lowe's or home depot and buy the clear acrylic that they put on bar counters and sometimes on garage floors. It evens itself out and is pretty strong. Plus it's nifty looking :) If you've been to the restaurants with shells and coins embedded in the tables then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Good thread here,

I hope everyone will forgive my constant motorcycle references but that is the experience I have to draw from. I recently saw the inside of Paul Cox's studio in New York. His marble came from a monument company also. Except his was about 3' to 4' square and about 4" thick. It was set in a wood frame of 2X6's and had 4x4 legs at the corners. He had welded up a frame that the legs set in and had wheels on the frame so he could move the table easily. It was a real sweet arrangement. This is what I will be doing.... just as soon as I get these 9 seats done. Make that 10.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

LOL, well, in my absence fromt he site, I was able to pick up a very nice piece of granite from a counter top installation/sales place here in town.... I called and stopped by alot of the monument places here and no one would admit to having scrap.... so as I was driving down the rode and saw this place I made a U turn went back and pulled into the lot, they has all kinds of scrap against the back fence, and when i got out of the car a sales guy came out and asked if he could help me.... I told him I needed a largish piece of granite to tool leather on... we went over to the scral that they had all lined up sitting on their edges and the first piece he showed me was 2 1/2' by 3' by 1 1/2".... i said that it was perfect and asked how much, expecting him to say 50 or 100 but he said it depends, do i need them to round off the edges (three edges were rough from where it had been cut from a larger piece, and one edge along the longer side was rounded) and I said no.... it is perfect the way it was... then he asked if $10 was too much.... Hell no... here is $10 cash.... wanna help me load it? LOL. We loaded it, and I gave him a card and told him if he ever needed anything leather, to call me, I would hook him up.... I got it into the house and cleared off my desk... put it on the wooden desk top and it was just wide enough but over hung the desk top by about 9 inches which i dont mind because it gave me a larger surface to work on.... I have been using it ever since.... I love it....I will get a pic to post here if I remember......

I tried calling a local monument company and asked for pieces of scrap. They wanted $50/sq. ft. for even their "scrap". I suppose they all have their own policies. :rip_1:

Kate

I've always gone to monument companies. Out back they have stones that are chipped, or they spelled the name wrong, etc. Usually they will let you have anything you want off the scrap pile, no charge.

I tried calling a local monument company and asked for pieces of scrap. They wanted $50/sq. ft. for even their "scrap". I suppose they all have their own policies. :rip_1:

Kate

Of course every store is different, but in general places get tired of getting calls looking for stuff like this so they just blow you off over the phone. Try going in and talking to the people working there. Even better if you can get to the guys in the back and avoid the front counter person. A lot of the times the front sales people consider a sale for $20 a waste of time, while a guy in the back is happy to hand a piece to you. When their scrap pile gets full they have to pay for a dumpster to dispose of it and then pay tonnage when it is dumped.

Aaron

Electrathon is right, they do have to pay for the scrap to be hauled off....

I am a member of the local freecycle group on yahoo groups here and there is a local business here that uses marble and granite and posts regularly for peple to come and pick through the scrap pile so they dont have to pay for it to be hauled off..... I have went there two or three times and there was nothing I could use for a tooling block.... but it would be worth a try to check with all "rock" places around town.... and try to talk with the folks in the back....

I just picked up a 12" x 24" x 4" headstone blank for $55. I've built a bench with a cutout for the stone to set flush with the surface of the bench. If I'd measured the stone before making the cutout ( at a friends ) I'd have realized the stone is a little bigger. :blush: Oh well. Can't wait till I have time to fix the bench and use the stone. I'm using a piece of countertop that I got for free at the moment. I think the thicker stone will be better.

Here is a pic of the slab I got.....

work_station_001.jpg

post-834-1186391585_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the slab I got.....

THAT SURE IS A CLEAN WORK AREA, OR WAS IT JUST FOR THE PHOTO? :whistle:

LOL, well... I did remove a few items that I like to keep close at hand on the work top.... but they add to clutter.... not mess....

And I forgot to sweep below the work top before taking the pic..... I opened to pic to see if i took a picture of a mess or what before responding.... and see some mess on the floor...

weeee ! ! Thanks guys

You just saved my arse, i just called a counter top installer and they will give me a piece of granite out of their scrap that is around 24x24x1 1/2 inch.

Wolvenstien, That is a beautiful worktop! Now I have something to aspire to! LOL I think I'll make a few phone calls...

Best advice I can give is to find a few counter top manufacturers/installers in your area.... and just go there.... get as far into the back as you can and check out the small stuff.... if no one comes out to greet you, go find someone in the back and talk to them. thell them you need a good clean piece to hammer leather on.... if they are cool, and have scrap there, they will show it to you and not screw you on the price..... it is scrap, and very unlikely they will find an application to use the scrap for and will end up needing to pay for it to be removed.... I paid $10 for my piece.... I was hoping to get it for free... but he very well could have asked for $50 or $100 for it... I would have had to walk away.... but I was lucky enough to get a guy to come out and greet me who was not trying to get rich off of one sale....

Speaking of salvage....

We gathered up this large piece of Baltic Brown granite from a building and then bedded it on some 2 X 4s and mounted it on a sit/stand workbench. We made the top edge so that tools couldn't roll off and hit the floor. Here are a couple of pictures that show the "base" of the marble/bed and the completed bench. This was made about 6 years ago.

Regards,

Ben

P.S. The "clear acrylic" that someone mentioned in it's various forms like Envirotex and such will start to crack and come apart with repeated stamping especially with heavier stamps like lettering or some of the 3D stamps.

p783.jpg

p830.jpg

post-9-1186420192_thumb.jpg

post-9-1186420252_thumb.jpg

I like that.... and I like that it is on wheels too....

Gtwister, thanks! My husband said the same thing about the acrylic...oh well, there goes that idea!LOL

Anyways, I went down to the local custom counter place today and was scared to death when I walked in...felt like my pinky should've been WAY in the air!! But the lady behind the counter was super friendly and is getting me a near custom cut piece 28 inches long by 18 inches deep for $25!!! Yay! :)

Sweet!