Suicide

Braiding/lacing Leather: Holes Vs Slits

Hi everybody!

Can you please suggest me when I should use round holes (made with rotary punch) and when it worth to use just slits made with chisels?

To specify lets say I use:

- thin 1 oz garment leather

- very soft , __stretcheable__ and pliable leather like 3-4 oz deerskin

- semi-thick 4 oz veg tan

- heavy 10-12 oz veg tan

What is better to use in each case?

So far I experimented with 6 oz deer, made round 3mm holes with punch, braided it with 3mm cow lace and frankly not satisfied much with results: some holes stretched along the lace directions and looked as a real HOLEs, not as it suppose to be or at least I'd like to have - "lace is going from within the skin and come back into with no any slots visible".

:whatdoyouthink:

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Suicide

Hi everybody!

Can you please suggest me when I should use round holes (made with rotary punch) and when it worth to use just slits made with chisels?

To specify lets say I use:

- thin 1 oz garment leather

- very soft , __stretcheable__ and pliable leather like 3-4 oz deerskin

- semi-thick 4 oz veg tan

- heavy 10-12 oz veg tan

What is better to use in each case?

So far I experimented with 6 oz deer, made round 3mm holes with punch, braided it with 3mm cow lace and frankly not satisfied much with results: some holes stretched along the lace directions and looked as a real HOLEs, not as it suppose to be or at least I'd like to have - "lace is going from within the skin and come back into with no any slots visible".

:whatdoyouthink:

Thanks in advance!

- thin 1 oz garment leather - (You will need to use something to stabilize the borders for slits and holes both).

- very soft , __stretcheable__ and pliable leather like 3-4 oz deerskin - ( Same with this one )... I don't like using this hide for braided boarders. But it can be done, just not to my liking.

- semi-thick 4 oz veg tan - Excellent for slits and holes.

- heavy 10-12 oz veg tan - Same with this one.

The results you got were from you pulling to tight and then the holes will elongate themselves as you describe.

B...

Thanks, Brian!

The results you got were from you pulling to tight and then the holes will elongate themselves as you describe.

Ah, I see.... Next time I try to make it a bit looser. That time it was a place connecting bottom/vamp and tongue of moccasins so I pulled as hell...