pete

"kits" For Sale

My friend that I do tooling for just bought a laser. He cut out wallets and business card cases for me to sell at gun shows, etc. They are doing great and I wanted to offer them to others here for those who would like a simple project but are disappointed with TANDY kits as I was when I began.

These are laser cut including PERFECT stitching holes. The beauty of the laser is that they are not only exact, but the "burn" on the edges are black from the laser and require almost NO BURNISHING to get perfect edges. I just use a little saddle soap and rub a few times and they are shiny and black! Better than I have ever been able to do.

They are 4/5 H.O., tool great, no blemishes, and sell well for $40.00. The insides are brown pigskin and the holes are lasered as well so they line up perfectly. All you need to do is finish and sew.

I will send for $18.00 in the US if you are interested.

Here are some that i have made and will sell at the next gun show here in March.I don't have paypal but I trust the good folks here as I have bought from many here before so a check is fine. (I'll print your name if you stiff me!! :) heh!post-520-0-95856800-1361312588_thumb.jpgpost-520-0-95856800-1361312588_thumb.jpgpost-520-0-95856800-1361312588_thumb.jpgpost-520-0-03865600-1361312626_thumb.jpgpost-520-0-27192500-1361312740_thumb.jpg heh!

Let me know if you are interested and I will see how many I may need and contact my partner to see when he can begin cutting.

Please note a wallet or business card as they are different sizes.

I like, but can they be bought without the holes in them? ( I would machine stitch)

Thanks,

RG

no problem! just takes a few less minutes to cut out!

pete

Pete.....I have a question for you. I have a laser also (Universal 30watt) and have just starting doing leather. I cut out a noseband for a rope halter last night and included the stitching holes for hand sewing (most of my stuff I have machine sewn but this was just a small item that I figured wouldn't take much to hand sew). But I noticed my thread was REALLY discolored by the time I got to the end. Maybe my holes were too small (.035") and the waxed thread was picking up some of the burnt leather on the way through.

The thread on your pictures looks cleaner than mine. I am using horse leather (as I think it lasers much better than veg tan leather) so maybe due to the coarser grain I am having to set my power/speed higher...causing more burn. I would be curious what wattage laser he is using and what settings.

Chris

Cris- He uses a 40 w laser but only uses enough power to cut cleanly. I would either increase the hole size or, what I do, is case my leather and lightly scrub with a sponge. It takes off the charred flakes. I wax my sinew too and it doesn't seem to pick up any black when I sew.

Hope that his helps.

pete

NOT TO BELABOR the point- but here are a few close-ups of some of the kits I am taking to the show. thank you for looking--pete

post-520-0-34122600-1361563559_thumb.jpgpost-520-0-34439300-1361563579_thumb.jpgpost-520-0-77871800-1361563597_thumb.jpgpost-520-0-42224100-1361563615_thumb.jpgpost-520-0-57630900-1361563635_thumb.jpg

Pete,

I want to start by saying that you have my support and this is an awsome thing. Total frustration with a Tandy kit is an understatement. Please take what I am about to say as constructive criticism.

I like the idea/concept. I do not see on either one where you would put a dollar bill. In general wallets are shaped to hold cards and paper money. If I am seeing this wrong possibly posting a pic showing money in the wallet for a visual referance.

Paypal: I don't care how much you hate it, It is the way people pay for things if you don't take credit cards. I would estimate that you loose almost all potential sales over this one issue. Checks are a thing of the past for the most part, electronic payment is how people now pay. I would likely have bought one of these the other day when you first posted, then I saw no paypal. The brakes were on. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check or sent something in the mail. Only do it a couple times a year.

Aaron

I agree with Aaron re Paypal. I've used it almost daily for the last 3 years with no problems.

First of all, cool idea. ..Pete, yes what Aaron said about the money(bills) issue. Can you come up with a pattern that would accommodate holding paper money? I would be interested too if so. I use Paypal. It's so easy to use.

To all. I DON"T HATE PAYPAL!!!!! I just never opened an account! It's that simple! I never sold things before to the public and have bought many things here from members with a check---so---I didn't know!

My partner does have one so I will talk with him about adding my items. Everybody happy?!!

As far as the paper money goes, I carry a money clip and carry 5-6 credit cards, license, and ss# etc in this model. I thought that it would be useful as many of my friends liked the idea too and some of my wife's friends like these to go out on the town with a minimal case for license and ccards.

I COULD design and sell a money pocket if you all would like them- I just never "tested the waters" before offering these.

"don't hate me because I'm stupid" (pete 2.22.13)

pete

Just spoke to my partner. We can use his account as he uses it dozens of times a week. ( he makes pocket holsters, buscaderos, belts, etc, and ships worldwide)

If you would like a kit please pm me and I will give you the paypay acoount.

Please denote card case OR wallet, and holes or no holes.

Also- I'm in the process of making wallet patterns to hold the do-re-mi as has been suggested.

thanks all for your patience

pete

ps- I'm sending 10 pattern ideas with each kit.

Hey Pete, i carry a front pocket wallet, its basically a bifold wallet with credit card slots on each side, and a spring money clip on the outside...i have carried this one for about 12 years now and it is starting to wear pretty hard...i would love to make a new one, but i just cant figure it out..if you start making these, let me know..they are the greatest thing since sliced bread..

Paper money is a thing of the past too. Alot of people including myself don't carry much cash and if I do its not in my wallet. These smaller type wallets are becoming much more popular. I don't see a problem with the size. It seems people either want really small wallets for a few cards or they want gigantic biker wallets to carry every piece of paper they get.

What does 18 bucks get? One kit? Are you doing any bulk pricing for multiple kits and is it cheaper without the holes or same price? I didn't realize leather could be cut out with a laser like that, very interesting.

I send brn or white waxed thread,needles(only if you need them!) 10 pattern suggestions ,and postage paid.

Holes are you call.

I can do $ 15.00 for five or more. I pay all.Thanks for your interest!

I'll send paypal account address to you or all that are interested. (maybe I should post it here now???...Johanna?????)

respectfully,

pete

Great idea Pete - if you don't mind my asking, in your original post you stated they sell well for $40. Is that WITH, or WITHOUT tooling? Your tooling looks great - I can't imagine selling them for $40 tooled - especially after paying $15-18 for the kit. I'm not knocking the kit price in any way (I think it's a fair price).

I went to a gun show last weekend and sold 7 for a "show special" price of $30.00. They were all tooled. The kits went for $15.00. Again, I called it a show special.(didn't have postage to pay!!)

Thank you for the compliment about the tooling. They are fairly fast to do and I really like the small designs.

pete

I was wondering the same thing, there's no way I could do them for 40.00 with the tooling.

How thick are the pocket pieces?

I'm considering getting a couple, its always good to have some different things in the shop that people can buy I'm just wondering what I can sell them for and if it would be worth it or not. I'm definitely up for seeing better quality kits. I've never made a kit to sell because there's none I've seen that I would have been happy with the outcome.

Both of you seem surprised. Are you both saying that $40..00 is too much or not enough????

Curious-- what WOULD you two charge for a finished product??

I'm not in an affluent area here in Arkansas so I charge what the market will allow! I could get $60.00 in Eureka Springs at the boutiques and tourist shops. I saw Mexican machine stamped "sheridan" there for $60.00 3 weeks ago!

I can do 3 a day(tooling) and 1 more day to finish, and I sew 1 or 2 of them that night or the next day.

The liners are really nice 1-2oz pigskin.

pete

Pete, I would think with the tooling they would probably be in the 60-80 range at minimum. When you sell online you get a much broader range of people. I have a hard time selling my stuff locally where people seem to gravitate towards the cheaper stuff so most of the stuff I make gets sold online but I try to keep cheaper stuff in the shop to sell to locals.

Pete - I'd probably charge $40 for just the plain wallet with no tooling. And like billymac said, at least $60-$80 tooled. Heck, I charge an extra $60 just to tool the reinforcement piece on my holsters. But, I agree you can only charge what the market will bear. If you're happy with the price, that's all that matters! Maybe you should crank out a bunch of simple ones for the local folks, then make some nicer ones for the Eureka Springs tourist crowd.

I agree pete...60-80 for the tooled ones...the economy is bad, but go try to find a table at a local restaurant on a friday or saturday night....as a while, we may not be as rich as we were, but were still plenty rich....dont sell yourself short...

Thanks for posting ! Great ideea ! You made me grab my camera, take few pics of the pannels of the wallet i came up with few mts ago and put them up for sale on Etsy as a DIY kit . I had a bunch of them cut and were collecting dust on a shelf...

Like some of the guys here said , don't sell yourself short !!! Your product looks great and it is unique...not to mention the work you put into that tooling.

Thanks for your interest and numerous PM'S for the kits. If you want to order get ahold of my paypal partner at

donr56@yahoo.com

Also- check out his site at http://shop.leatherbydon.com/

You holster makers might like to see what's "flying out the door at gun shows! We sold out 2 weeks ago!! yipeeee!!!!

Edited by pete

Cris- He uses a 40 w laser but only uses enough power to cut cleanly. I would either increase the hole size or, what I do, is case my leather and lightly scrub with a sponge. It takes off the charred flakes. I wax my sinew too and it doesn't seem to pick up any black when I sew.

Hope that his helps.

pete

Please see http://www.pslac.org/public/03_mar13.pdf (page 6) for an article on James Polson and his laser demonstration. He said: "...found that using some light tack paper over the leather help keeps the burnt leather dust from getting on the non-lasered leather to aid in clean up.".

Bob Stelmack