chaosready

New Holster - Owb For 1911 Govt.

Here's my latest holster. I call it the Upholder . Outside-waist-band, full coverage retention snap, high ride for easier concealment.

Let's hear it, holster gurus! Show no mercy!

DSC_0637.jpg

DSC_0636.jpg

DSC_0624.jpg

Finish, stitching, molding and edges look very good.

Stitch lines follow the contour of the gun VERY well......but.....it looks like the stitch line along the TOP of the slide might follow it a bit TOO well, and then angle out to accomodate the front sight (which still needs to come back OUT the way it went in). I could be wrong about that.

Belt slots look very wide, and look like they could use some touch-up dye on the edges.

And I'm thinking that rear slot might be a little too far back, allowing the gun to flop out a bit from the belt.

I'm a little leery of closed-end designs. They look GREAT, but debris, including the inevitable "holster feathers", can't just fall out the bottom.

It's a very attractive holster overall. Looks like you designed it for maximum protection of the gun, while still allowing fast access.

Nice looking holster, but I think you meant "copyright" not "trademark". There's a difference in copyrighting the name and trademarking a holster design.....which would be hard to do unless it was innovative and not common.

Good morning from the grumpy old man: Your workmanship looks pretty good ...... but. The wings are used in this type of holster only to provide a place to put the belt slots. Your belt slots are way out there on the very edge of those big wings, and are a bit oversized. In use, the actual retention is only between the outer edge of the slot and the outer edge of the wing. In time, I think that you will see these areas stretch ('cause there just ain't too much leather there, and it's a butt heavy gun) and the gun will begin to feel top heavy or lean out ..... if it doesn't at the outset. I'd move those belt slots in closer to the weapon, thin them down a bit, get more leather around the slots, shorten the wings. and even raise the slots a bit ........ remember that most of the weight of a loaded 1911 is from the butt to the breech face .......... and gravity is always working on it. By moving the slots inward you will tie them to the body of the holster better, and moving them up a bit will provide more support. The farther from the weapon the belt slots are, and the lower they are, the less rigidity and support you get. As to the closed muzzle on your rig ....... I gotta agree with BigO. You'd be surprised at how much crud can accumulate down in the toe of a closed toe holster over time ..... and nobody ever thinks to look in there and clean it out. Now, with all that said, do NOT think that I'm knocking your work. It looks better than many I have seen. These are just the items I happen to notice and are from over 40+ years of experience, screw-ups, and butchering cow hides. I'm no expert, a self proclaimed expert can be defined as: an EX ; a has-been combined with a SPERT (spurt); a drip under pressure. Take from my comments what you will, but keep at it.........you're doing fine. Mike

Edited by katsass

Thanks for the advice guys, y'all are awesome.

As far as the closed muzzle, I'm thinking that would be a customer option (open or closed muzzle), with disadvantage made known beforehand. I do like the looks though, and it would be ok with proper maintenance.

Good point about the belt slot being way out there, my thinking with that was the farther apart the belt attachment points, the more stability you'd have. Maybe not though.

Big O, that upward stitch at the front sight is actually my F-up, I meant to make it straight all the way down. In reality, I molded a front sight channel inside the holster, so no snags to worry about.

Thanks again you guys, I will proceed with new knowledge.

Thanks for the advice guys, y'all are awesome.

As far as the closed muzzle, I'm thinking that would be a customer option (open or closed muzzle), with disadvantage made known beforehand. I do like the looks though, and it would be ok with proper maintenance.

Good point about the belt slot being way out there, my thinking with that was the farther apart the belt attachment points, the more stability you'd have. Maybe not though.

Big O, that upward stitch at the front sight is actually my F-up, I meant to make it straight all the way down. In reality, I molded a front sight channel inside the holster, so no snags to worry about.

Thanks again you guys, I will proceed with new knowledge.

Chaos, if you think about it (it took me a long time to realize this) it's the amount of belt in contact with the holster that provides stability, not the amount of wing.. In your holster there is about a half inch or less on each side. I personally have now (recently) gone to trying to make LOBO'S "Enhanced Pancake" holster when asked to make a pancake style. Take a look at his design.......it provides an inch or more on each side, and ties the belt to the wings much more efectively. Those that I have made have been met with great approval. They take a bit more work, however the outcome is superior to the standard pancake IMHO. Here's a pic of my first one. Keep up the good work. Mike

001-4.jpg