SmokinP

I want the perfect saddle

I've been stalking these forums here for a little while and am just amazed at the expertise and insight gathered here. I'd like to take advantage of your willingness to share that expertise and hopefully end up making someones job easier.

The scenario is:

I've been saving my pennies and finally got enough to start thinking about a custom made saddle. I've rode quite a few factory saddles...some good ones some not so good ones. Some of them had a really good feel or a really good look to me but maybe I'm not exactly sure why.

Now my questions are:

When I come into your shop looking for the perfect saddle how can we help each other get it built?

What questions are you going to have for me? What questions should I have for you? What are some of the details that I've maybe never even noticed but make a pretty big difference? What should I learn about the insides of a saddle that I've never really seen before or thought much about? When browsing around at other saddles what should I be looking for that I can maybe put into my own rig? Will you build the stirrups or should I be taking a look at what's available to get some ideas?

I know that's quite alot of questions but for me and I suppose most folks this would be a once in a lifetime purchase and it's pretty much gotta be perfect.

I appreciate any thoughts and comments.

Al Popovich

Smokin P Ranch

Custer Park, Illinois

Al,

Great topic and questions. I figure this could almost be the "never-ending" story. First off, you have to go in with a budget in mind and a time-frame. Most makers have a base price, and charge for add-ons. Every maker prices a bit differently, and some things one guy includes in the base price, the next guy considers an add-on. Before we get into the mechanics of the saddle some generalities.

What do you do with your horses? How often? How long at a time? What did you like/not like about the seats (the way they sat) of previous saddles you rode? Do you sit back against the cantle or centered? How big are you? Are you the only one that will ride this saddle?

Then it kind of starts a part at a time.

Tree type. What you do somewhat influences what tree style you need, but then personal preference takes over. Swells vs. slickfork, horn type and size, seat or thigh length, cantle height, style and angle. Your horses will determine the bar spread, angles, and pattern. The tree is a whole topic by itself.

Some guys will tout an all-leather ground seat vs. a strainer seat. I believe that a bad or good seat good be made with either one. Most makers prefer one technique or another. A lot of the factory saddles have fiberglass strainers and clicked out ground work to be consistant. That is why factory saddles are either consistantly bad or good.

Stirrup leather widths - do you want 2-1/2 or 3"? Buckle types? Length, this is custom, you don't need 5" of length below the stirrup pin. Twist or flat?

Rigging type and position. Another whole topic unto itself. Style of riding, intended purpose, type of horses, what do you like - rings vs. drop plate, stirrup swing needed/wanted, etc.

Strings or not, drilled or not, conchos - metal or leather.

Seat - padded, slick, inlay, or patch. Materials?

Cheyenne roll or straight binding?

After all of this we get into the aesthetics.

Roughout or smooth out. Tooling, stamping, and the amount/detail all factor in.

Skirts - Square, round, rounded, butterfly, cutouts for riggings...

Stirrups - Some guys figure cast aluminum or galvanized bound as the base. Others figure in Monels. Leather covered, and tooled to match?? Lined, treads?

Little stuff - cinch included? latigos? hobble carriers? small dees under a concho to buckle skid boots to? Rope strap and style?

Look at a bunch of catalogs, websites, and talk to people who have bought one before. Get referrals from satisfied customers, ride their saddles, talk to a lot of people. There are very few standards in the saddle business, so you just have to do homework.

Hey Al,

Bruce has spoken to the specifics of ordering from a custom maker a bit so I'll visit a bit about the generalities (if that is a word). I'll approach it from a round about way. When person of average to little knowledge about saddles brings one to me to evaluate it usually is something they feel they got a good deal on. To learn about the insides of a saddle looking at the outsides is what I'll address. By seeing what I DON'T want done on a finished saddle I know what to ask about on one before it is built. I don't want the tree to be broken and I can check this out by standing the saddle on the front end and pushing on the cantle trying to break the tree. I shouldn't be able to. While it is up like that I would look at how tight the rear jockeys are to the cantle and how tight the jockey is to the skirts. I would then lift the rear jockey away from the skirts to see how the skirts are attached. I prefer lug straps to sewn pockets because the sewing will usually pull ot before the lug straps. Then I would lay the saddle on either side and try and see how the rigging is attached between the skirt and the seat. Oh yeah if the saddle has in skirt rigging I would want the skirt to be split and sewn over and around the bars (kinda hard to describe in writing but there is a "right way" and everything else when it comes to in skirt rigging! Everything else puts the rider at greater risk. I want the attachments of my rigging to look secure and "right" Screws set and in straight and the same with nails. Although I may not be able to see all of them I may see one or two that may give me some clue. I would rub the wool all over the bar area on the side of the saddle that is down and I would use pretty good pressure to check for any irregularities. I would look at how the stirrup leathers look going over the bars and at how the way they hang relates to the rigging. If I can see any of the string holes in the bar area how far apart are they? Also, again can I feel any lumps in the skirt where the strings are located? Then I'd lay it on the other side and perform all the same checks. Obviously, a new saddle at a saddle makers shop should pass the same inspection and they should be ready and willing to address any issues you discover! They should supply one of their previous saddles to test. Then I would sit in the saddle on a saddle stand. If all this went well then I would start on the things Bruce mentioned!

Vaya Con Dios Alan Bell

I've got to reach Seventh Street
Bob Marley - Natty Dread

Gentleman thank you for your thorough responses. It will definitely help me when it comes time to start the ball rolling. I will be able to look at other saddles and see if maybe some of the details I never really noticed would fit my needs.

I admire your vast amount of expertise and appreciate your willingness to share with us less knowledgable ones.