KyGuy

Pasta Roller

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group and ask if anyone else haas tried this. Wanted to make a belt for my grandson and all i had on hand was a skirting side ....about 12 oz. leather. Saw a pasta roller in the kitchen so I cut a strip of leather, ran it through and came out with a strip about 6 oz.. leather is still soft and nice part is backside is burnished. Since i had no skiver had to try this. please let me know what you think.

That's a new one on me. Must create a lot of pressure to squish a piece of skirting into a 6oz strap. Did you case the leather first? How much wider did the strap become? Just wondering. I've thought about using a pasta cutter to make small straps but didn't want to spend the money on an experment.

here is a pic of some samples. Left to right untouched leather.....rolled leather....cased and rolled leather. it did not really gain any more in width.

That's a new one on me. Must create a lot of pressure to squish a piece of skirting into a 6oz strap. Did you case the leather first? How much wider did the strap become? Just wondering. I've thought about using a pasta cutter to make small straps but didn't want to spend the money on an experment.

Edited by KyGuy

Here is a pic of the leather. From left to right......stock leather.....rolled leather.....cased and rolles leather

post-18966-065484900 1298488911_thumb.jp

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group and ask if anyone else haas tried this. Wanted to make a belt for my grandson and all i had on hand was a skirting side ....about 12 oz. leather. Saw a pasta roller in the kitchen so I cut a strip of leather, ran it through and came out with a strip about 6 oz.. leather is still soft and nice part is backside is burnished. Since i had no skiver had to try this. please let me know what you think.

Thanks for that KyGuy, I've got one of those pasta rollers I think I'll have to give it a try. I have trouble at times with my splitter on dry leather and this might be a solution for those pieces so they don't just end up in the scrap bin.

Cheers,

Clair

Did the pasta roller skive the leather or smash it? From what I am reading I am leaning toward smashing it.... thats alot of pressure the roller is applying if it is smashing it.

Thanks for the pics. Ya' learn something new every day.

it did not cut the leather....it compresses it. Nice part is it burnishes the backside and makes the grain tighter on the front side.Did the pasta roller skive the leather or smash it? From what I am reading I am leaning toward smashing it.... thats alot of pressure the roller is applying if it is smashing it.

frontside of leather

backside of leather again left to right....raw leather......rolled leather .....cased and rolled leather

post-18966-080604500 1298570993_thumb.jp

post-18966-073584600 1298571071_thumb.jp

I gave it a try and it worked quite well on a piece of squishy belly leather also was able to use it on some dry kangaroo lace which wasn't wide enough to put through my splitter. This lace I bought years ago and is quite a dry finish compared to what you usually get with kangaroo it was also on the unusual thick side but by casing it and putting it through the rollers I can actually use it for what I bought it for so thankyou for the idea KyGuy.

Cheers,

Clair

I gave it a try and it worked quite well on a piece of squishy belly leather also was able to use it on some dry kangaroo lace which wasn't wide enough to put through my splitter. This lace I bought years ago and is quite a dry finish compared to what you usually get with kangaroo it was also on the unusual thick side but by casing it and putting it through the rollers I can actually use it for what I bought it for so thankyou for the idea KyGuy.

Cheers,

Clair

I am glad it worked for you. Seems to tool better too.....grain seems to get tighter.