johnggrg

Question About Will Ghormley's 100Th Anniversary 1911 Cavalry Holster

I recently bought the 100th anniversary pattern pack and was going to make the cavalry holster and have a question. It uses a brass button stud for the closure. What size would be right? I have seen them for sale on ebay but there is small,medium, and large. Instructions don't say what size to use. Also there are two types out there. The stud that needs to be pounded together and one that's has a screw on the back. I would rather use the screw type but not sure on the size to use. If anyone knows what size I should use please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone has made one of these please feel free to post a picture. Thank you. John

Do you mean a Sam Browne stud? img_2641%20military%20hrc.jpg

Thank you for the reply Matt. Yes. John

Hi.If you tighten the screw ones too much they will shear off. I always use the ones that hammer together and they will never come out. Much stronger I say. Tandy is very expensive I must say.Cheers

The pattern says to punch a 1/4" hole for the button stud. 1/4" is close to 6mm If you look at tandy's button stud punches you use a 6mm punch for a 10mm button stud. 10mm is about 3/8". The 10mm is what I use on most of my belts holsters etc. that use button studs.

Thanks for the information. Looked at Tandy and was going to buy the 10mm stud till it said it would cost 12.99 for shipping. Can you beleive that. Anyone know a cheaper place. Looked on ebay the only ones that said they were10mm were from china. And not buying from china if I can help it. And not wanting to pay 12.99 shipping either. So any suggestions? John

If you select USPS it shows $6.45. My sugestion is call springfield leather they sell the same ones. They can qoute shipping for you and if you are only ordering one or two my guess is their shipping would be significantly less. They usually try to shipp cheapest possible. If that doesn't work PM me we might be able to work something out for you.

Scott