Haystacker

1911 Holster Design Question

This is a rough design of a 1911 holster. My question is about the tie down lace. Is it in a "safe" position? It has been years since I have used 1911's and since I suffer from CRS, I would sure appreciate anyone in the know chiming in.

I am trying to build an inexpensive holster for gun shows. I like the tie down lace instead of the strap with snaps. This design takes less time than the strap and snap.

Thanks

Jeff[]

post-5298-007126000 1295141217_thumb.jpg

post-5298-080031400 1295141252_thumb.jpg

post-5298-061993500 1295141291_thumb.jpg

This is a rough design of a 1911 holster. My question is about the tie down lace. Is it in a "safe" position? It has been years since I have used 1911's and since I suffer from CRS, I would sure appreciate anyone in the know chiming in.

I am trying to build an inexpensive holster for gun shows. I like the tie down lace instead of the strap with snaps. This design takes less time than the strap and snap.

Thanks

Jeff[]

The lace would probably keep the gun from falling out, but most people who carry cocked and locked prefer to have the strap between hammer and firing pin as an extra safety feature.

Whoa! That design scares me. But for your question I would put the lace or strap under the hammer

Whoa! That design scares me. But for your question I would put the lace or strap under the hammer

? Why ? A whole series of events would need to transpire for that firearm to discharge.

I personally wouldnt like it that way mainly because it appears as though the strap could disengage the safety which can be a problem on its own. Look at a Milt Sparks holster. He makes the best for a 1911 that I have seen yet.

You mean like getting a grip on the grip and accidentally putting your finger in the trigger gaurd and trying to withdrawal pistol and at that split second forgetting you did not set the safety, all the while you are in motion pulling the trigger, you mean like kind of series of events . There are reasons I and many other holster makers cover the trigger guard, maybe im missing something

dont give up on the design it reminds me alot of the yaqui slide style holster which is a great holster style i think the lace would be just fine ( IMHO ) but i do have to agree it might take tweaking the patttern just a little but i would personally cover the trigger guard of course, thats just my 2 cents! anyway keep up the work!:thumbsup:

To me it looks like it would be altogether too easy to snag the muzzle or the front sight on the lace.

A corollary to Murphy's Law is that not only WILL things go wrong but they will go wrong at the exact time you need them NOT to. If the gun can get snagged, it will...at the worst possible time.

Bronson

I'm NOT advocating stealing someone's design, but if you go over to Cobra Steve's website (leathermachineco.com) and look at the 'strut your stuff' section, there's a great example of this style holster....with a thumb break.

It's in the pictures by Texas Leather Company.

? Why ? A whole series of events would need to transpire for that firearm to discharge.

All it takes is for you to get into one wrestling match over your side arm and all those events could happen in a matter of seconds.....

Okay folks, let's please keep this about the leather. Safety issues, design concepts, etc. is part and parcel, but let's avoid discussions about what "might" happen. If you'd like to discuss the particulars of a firearm, or what's good/bad about it please keep it in the PMs. Most people are rather opinionated on the subject and that can lead to heated arguments....which have no place here. The proper place for discussions about a firearm platform is in one of the many gun forums.

Jeff, I have to agree with most everyone that this may not be the safest design. I like the idea you are going for, but I would definitely relocate the strap. Even with the safety lever in position, I would not like the lace getting close to the backstrap safety. Another thing to consider, most people prefer to be able to deploy their weapon as quickly as possible and I don't know if you could do that with a lace tie down as opposed to a traditional thumb break. I do like the idea you're going for and I think with a little tweaking you will have an awesome holster! J.D.

Haystacker,

I know you were asking about the leather strap safety thing, I'll not add my 2 cents to that .....but .......If I may be so bold, with no offense intended.....Were I in the market for a holster for my 1911 and if I were at a gun show, I don't think that style would be my holster of choice for my weapon. I believe most people are willing to spend a few more dead presidents on a holster that has a little more "body" to it than a slide holster for a 1911. Most 1911's cost in the vicinity of $600-900. People will spend that kind of jingle for a weapon, but will buy a cheapo holster for it that usually ends up in the "holster drawer", along with their other 25 holsters that they thot would be the bomb. With todays market that is selling those nylon holsters for $29.95, I believe it might be an effort in futility to try to sell a leather holster on the "cheap" side. Just my personal opinion. Semper-fi Mike

My question is about the tie down lace. Is it in a "safe" position?

In my opinion, no. I see several potential issues with the tie down lace that would prevent me from putting my stamp on it. Hope this helps.

Edited by gregintenn

I would either abandon the "tie down lace" entirely(1st choice), or make it a wider tab that attaches to the rear of the holster on one end, and then splits and slips over the hammer (from the side) on the other. That'd provide both added retention AND some slight measure of safety, by inhibiting contact between the hammer and the firing pin - but at the expense of speed, and with the possibility that the lace could get in the way and foul the draw entirely.

And I'd cover the trigger guard, because the bang switch (trigger) is the primary, if not ONLY, initiator of unintentional bangs - as well as intentional ones.

And if you're going to have the muzzle and, more significantly, the front sight protruding beyond the bottom of the holster, it is absolutely essential that a sight channel be molded in, and HARD. The last thing anyone wants in extremis is a "speed bump".

All of the above is solely my opinion, arrived at from a whole lot more time WEARING holsters than MAKING them.

That design would make a good range holster without the thong. It isn't suited for conceal carry in my opinion.

Thanks for all of the input. I have relocated the thong to the front of the holster. Now, IF someone were to carry cocked and locked, then the thong interferes with the hammer falling. Looks goofy but oh well.

I was at a gun show a couple months back. A guy brought me a holster like this with a strap, and asked if I could make one. I recognized this holster as one of the threepersons for a 1911. The only difference was this was a shorter version that allowed different barrel lengths. I thought it was a cool idea.

My attempt, whether naively or not, was to come up with a simple leather holster that could be produced inexpensively. That's why I was trying the tie down thong as opposed to the strap. Tie down thongs are less man hours and less expensive. The naive part was I was trying to make an alternative to the nylon holsters.

I really don't know why someone would wear a threeperson holster. I know it was designed by a famous lawman to meet his carry criteria. It is not a concealed carry holster. I think there is a retro popularity. I just like the looks of them.

I don't want to defend this holster design. It is not my design. I had a brain fart when I looked at the location of the tie down thong on my 1911 dummy. I could not understand if I was deactivating the grip safety or not. So in my laziness, i tried to ask on this forum about the safety. I should have been more specific in my question. My bad.

I apologize for stirring up a hornet's nest. I do appreciate everyone for taking the time to respond.

Haystacker, I wanted to reply earlier. but was at work and had limited computer time. I don't believe you stirred up a "hornets nest". We all learn by asking questions. I looked at your Hays Holsters .com site and see that you make a variety of really nice quality holsters, that anyone would be proud to own. To put out a holster that could be "produced in-expensively", I believe, would diminish the good name in holstery, that you have achieved. I imagine you would put your "makers mark" on the inexpensive holster and perhaps lower your status in "holster-makers-community". Again, just a thought on my part, and only just that. My opinion. I sometimes think that if some of my acquaintances had better advised me of some of MY ill-fated plans, that I thought were the cats-meow, and then ended up in the dumpster, I would have been much better off if they had told me the truth, instead of telling me to "go ahead, great idea". Anyways, enough of my ramblings. Again, just my opinion, my friend. Semper-fi Mike

Edited by marine mp

Between the hammer and the firing pin would be the correct place to put it.