new seat

Looks great Dave, don't dye it black. The way it is now realy blends into the "Smoke Out" theme.

Ken

Edited by Beaverslayer

very nice dave!

if they want it black and i make the smokeout, i will make sure to give them a hard time

very nice dave!

if they want it black and i make the smokeout, i will make sure to give them a hard time

Roger,

That would be SO funny if you would walk up to them and tell them it would have looked better dark tan fading to black .....ha ha.....

Dave

I think you have captured the "smokey" theme very effectively. Nice dye job! *caff* *caff*

Kate

I think it is finished....unless they make me dye it black....

Tell them black dye violates California's new VOC laws and is no longer available... :whistle:

In North Carolina they don't want to hear about no stinking California!

Art

Tell them black dye violates California's new VOC laws and is no longer available... :whistle:

They liked it! WOO HOO

It stays the way it is.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

Well, of course they liked it! You are doing some great work, and anyone who gets to plop their derrière onto one of your works of art should be delighted. In fact, if they rebuild the bike next year, they'll likely keep the seat. Duh. I suspect that if I asked around privately, I'd find out you're not getting paid as well as you should be, either. Leatherworkers with your talent shouldn't have to have day jobs, unless they want them.

Johanna

That look freakin sweeett !! What color is that and how did you apply the dye ??

That look freakin sweeett !! What color is that and how did you apply the dye ??

That color is a base of buckskin stain faded to saddletan then to black with a spray gun (I use a small touch-up gun instead of an airbrush, gotta get that airbrush out again it would probably work better.) I then followed with Sheridan antiquing paste faded to medium brown and dark brown. Then the edge of the seat was dyed straight black; applyed with a 3/4" artist brush (stiff bristle to work the stain into the kangaroo lace.) I like the effect, I think the seat would look good on a rat rod style bike or a high finish bike which this one will be.....Candy green was the latest decision. They better get to painting because they are leaving next Wednesday!

Thanks for looking at my work.

Dave Theobald

Well, of course they liked it! You are doing some great work, and anyone who gets to plop their derrière onto one of your works of art should be delighted. In fact, if they rebuild the bike next year, they'll likely keep the seat. Duh. I suspect that if I asked around privately, I'd find out you're not getting paid as well as you should be, either. Leatherworkers with your talent shouldn't have to have day jobs, unless they want them.

Johanna

Thanks Johanna,

I am under the impression that the bike has already been sold....sight unseen can you believe that? The seat will go with it if the guy wants it or they will give him a $90 stock seat. Personally I would like to brag that MY bike was a chop off bike from Smokeout 8! But who knows, bikers are a different breed. I don't mean that in a bad way, they just seem to march to their own drummer.

Today, I happened to be at the shop when a fellow stopped to pick up his new bike.....10 days ago he was in Iraq... He landed in LA and was served with divorce papers! Poor guy, our service men and women make sacrifices that few of us will ever know about. I felt honored to meet him. One of our American heros. He had intended to ride the bike back to his home....west coast! But dicided to ship it after riding the rigid for a couple hours! Good decision but I can see how he would have liked the ride time to "clear his head". He was marveling at the weather....10 days ago he was wearing 60 lbs of gear in 120 degree heat, today it was 84 here. He also remarked how peaceful it was here....I guess because no one was shooting at him.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

That seat is beautiful. I am definitely going to have to look into an airbrush setup for finishing. Very nice top to bottom.

Edited by JohnD

Awesome, Dave!

John and Bruce,

Thanks for the nice comments guys, It is always fun to get away from the production line seats and do something unique for a change. I have another one-off coming up. It will probably be the only Chevrolet insignia that I put on a motorcycle seat! Following that I have another "Jesus" portrait seat to do. Then it is back to the production line.

Dave Theobald

Thanks, Dave. Anytime I start getting a little cocky, or overconfident, all I have to do is come hang around here. I'll see a few pictures of this freakin' ART you create, and my "humbled" switch flips and I go back to the ol' drawing board.

Bravo, buddy. It rocks.

here are a couple shots of the bike dave. these are not mine but wanted to post them here for you.

22237495_l.jpg22237512_l.jpg

My son also brought back a pic of the bike that shows the seat pretty well

DSC01192.JPG

post-327-1183676588_thumb.jpg

My son also brought back a pic of the bike that shows the seat pretty well

I love shovels! Seat looks great on it!