Sign in to follow this  
dfd

Treadle Machines And Leather Work?

I'm fairly new to leatherwork and I have an opportunity to inherit my grandmother's old treadle sewing machine.It is in immaculate condition with lots of spare needles.My question is could this be used for any type of leatherwork?What is the maximum thickness of leather that could be sown and what types o f projects would I be limited to?

Edited by dfd

There are lots of different treadle machines with very different capabilities. You'd need to add manufacturer and model to the conversation to get an informed response back

EY

I'm fairly new to leatherwork and I have an opportunity to inherit my grandmother's old treadle sewing machine.It is in immaculate condition with lots of spare needles.My question is could this be used for any type of leatherwork?What is the maximum thickness of leather that could be sown and what types o f projects would I be limited to?

I could be wrong but I don't think that new home did much in the way of industrials. It will do a couple of layers of garment leather but that is about it.

Don't get me wrong, I love treadle machines, but it still needs to be industrial. I was just talking to someone today about building a 31k47 treadle for upholstery leather!

All I know until I can look at it is that it is a "New Home" sewing machine.

If the head is less than two feet long, or less than 200lbs, it's probably a light duty home machine. As stated, these will handle a few layers of garment leather at most.

Forcing it to sew thicker or harder leather will likely damage it. See what you can find out about it, but it will probably be most valuable as a reminder of her.

I picked up my 31k47 head that was sitting in a friends museum and over the next month or so will set it up on a treadle base after a light refurb.