Tkleather1

Neat-Lac Replacement

I know that this is not news to alot of you but I just wanted to let some of you all know, since it seems every other thread about finishes, (mine included for a while),someone is asking for a Neat-Lac replacement. Now I know of a few outfits that you can get it from but the one that I chose was Sheridan Leather, Thier product is called Wyoshene and it is the same as Neatlac with a different sticker on the front. I paid 15.95 for a quart of the stuff and I am extremely pleased. Just thought that I would pass on the Info.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

If anyone else has any others feel free to post as I will not think any one is Hijacking just want to get some info out there.

I appreciate you started this thread, especially since I just received Kevin's box from Springfield Leather. I asked Kevin for some Neat-Lac replacement and he sent me a quart of "Clear-Lac" manufatured by Leather Coatings, Inc. (LCI). I believe that Hidepounder and maybe others spread the word about this company in previous posts being the manufacture of neat-lac. I paid $16.99 plus shipping.

I did inquire at the Boot and Saddle show with others who work with leather much, much more than I do and your product was not suggested to use. I didn't ask nor did I feel to ask why, but that is what causal conversation brought up. Now, (disclaimer) I haven't personally tried this product, so I cannot vouch for it, but I would be very interested to hear what you say and I will report the same.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

I appreciate you started this thread, especially since I just received Kevin's box from Springfield Leather. I asked Kevin for some Neat-Lac replacement and he sent me a quart of "Clear-Lac" manufatured by Leather Coatings, Inc. (LCI). I believe that Hidepounder and maybe others spread the word about this company in previous posts being the manufacture of neat-lac. I paid $16.99 plus shipping.

I did inquire at the Boot and Saddle show with others who work with leather much, much more than I do and your product was not suggested to use. I didn't ask nor did I feel to ask why, but that is what causal conversation brought up. Now, (disclaimer) I haven't personally tried this product, so I cannot vouch for it, but I would be very interested to hear what you say and I will report the same.

Thats Kinda funny since its the same thing. I was told that they get it from LCI with their own lable on it just like tandy did. Neat lac was Tandy's name for it.

so far I can not tell a difference.

Tim

As I posted before, both Kevin at Springfield and Vandy at Sheridan handle a replacement for Neat Lac, it is the same product from LCI with different labeling. I know Kevin has the thinner for it, I will check to see if Vandy does too, but I would suspect so. LCI (formerly DYO Chemical) has been making products for the leatherworker for years, usually under a supplier's label, but they sell direct also. They make very good products for spray application, which is their real market.

Leatherworkers are a funny bunch, never ones to try new things (even when they are old things). Most of us won't find out that Neat Lac is gone until we go out and try to buy another can. Tandy will try to push us into the ECO crap and maybe we try but it is not the same. So some of the independent leather stores go out and find us something that works, demand drives supply.

So, hats off to Kevin at Springfield Leather, and Vandy and Luke at Sheridan Leather Outfitters for going out and getting leatherworkers the products they need.

Thanks guys,

Art

Thats Kinda funny since its the same thing. I was told that they get it from LCI with their own lable on it just like tandy did. Neat lac was Tandy's name for it.

so far I can not tell a difference.

Tim

Who know Art it is funny you say that because many will say that Eco-Flo is the a great product until you mix it with different maker products and it you see the true value. I have made a decision that I will complete my Eco-Flo product (unfortuately I have quite a bit, you know new leather worker and all) and then I am switching to Fiebings. I really like the way it mixes with Neat-Lac, Clear Lac, Wyoshene or whatever you want to call it.

I am sure that Kevin did me well. Even when an order goes wrong with him, he fixes it pretty quick, personally. Hats off to Kevin at Springfield. I am sure that Vance at Sheridan is great to work with. I hope to purchase a beaver tail from him in the future and maybe some other stuff. Big Papa was very happy with is C/S.

Thanks for your .02 cents. It does make sense.

neat-lac spray $10.95 quart $9.95 at stleather http://stleather.com/2008-P35.html this is my main resist & finish.

charlie

It is Vandy at Sheridan, she is a good person to work with.

Art

Who know Art it is funny you say that because many will say that Eco-Flo is the a great product until you mix it with different maker products and it you see the true value. I have made a decision that I will complete my Eco-Flo product (unfortuately I have quite a bit, you know new leather worker and all) and then I am switching to Fiebings. I really like the way it mixes with Neat-Lac, Clear Lac, Wyoshene or whatever you want to call it.

I am sure that Kevin did me well. Even when an order goes wrong with him, he fixes it pretty quick, personally. Hats off to Kevin at Springfield. I am sure that Vance at Sheridan is great to work with. I hope to purchase a beaver tail from him in the future and maybe some other stuff. Big Papa was very happy with is C/S.

Thanks for your .02 cents. It does make sense.

I bought some Clear Lac and was not pleased. after applying it to the leather and letting it dry overnight....there were awful streaks in the leather after I applied antique. However, I ordered some Wyosheen from Sheridan Outfitters and it works like a charm, just like neat lac. I tried the clear lac again on some scrap leather, and it also left streaks after antiquing. Now I do not know what to do with this can of clear lac. I have also used Leather Sheen spray as a resist and it works ok too.

i have been using wyo-sheen for a couple years from sheridan outfitters, don butler turned me on to it, and it has worked great for me i also know that a friend of mine bob park use's it also with great results. sheridan outfitters is a great company to work with they are always looking for things to help improve the leather industry. this is just my opion on the subject john

I apply lightly, rubbing it into the leather. You want to make sure You work it into all the cuts and impression. Let dry, and if needed, come back with a second coat. The only time when I ever had a problem, I "gooped" it on. I do not use the spray version.

Terry

Used to use neat-lack as a resist all the time in antiquing applications. Two coats with an artist brush over opaques colors for "nature-tand" type belts and resist projects. Was the best thing out there for over 30 years. I'm sure that what killed it was all the VOC laws that have come along lately. I think I still have some left over from the 1990's. Just getting back into it again after a 20 year rest.

Hello all,

at first I'm sorry for my English, I'm not from english speaking country so i hope you will understand :)

I'm newbie at leatherworking and I still need to learn a lot so maybe you will help me.

I'm also looking for something like neat-lac but in my country is hard to buy something like that and buying it from US will be too expensive for me due to shipping.

I'm not even sure what exactly neat-lac is, i've just saw that almost everyone in here is using it. Can someone explain me on what is that lac based ? is it something syntetic of natural ?

I know this thread is old one but I hope someone will notice it.

Thank you.

I realize this is an old post, did any body out their try Saddle Lac spray? I just sent for a can, it is expensive $22 + SH, from Fibbing's. I am not going to do this to often, no matter how good it is. I know that charge more then most other sites for their own product. They told me that they have to do that because there wouldn't be any need for the other leather supply houses to sell their product. Makes sense.

Jim

It ain't Neat Lac, guaranteed. Springfield Leather, along with others, sell Clearlac which is Neatlac

Terry

I have used Saddle Lac but not Neat Lac or equivalent. The Saddle Lac gives a nice sheen and finish. In my limited use it was great for projects that did not need much flexibility (cases, art) but cracked when highly flexed (shoes, bag flaps).

I acquired these three as part of old batches of tools I bought (one box containing this was even mailed to me via usps!).

Does anybody have an idea what I can thin the old Neatlac out with?  Anything I can buy in a hardware store?

JOhan

image.thumb.png.dc6df9c4e87a5d6983dc4fb8dcc59f8e.png

Were can I find the old thick neat lac my grandad did hand leather tooling for 60+ years and ive been doing it for 30+ years and always used old school neat lac now that im getting back into doing leather work again I xant find neat lac plz someone help me I WA a taught neat lac was the only finish beside the mahogany antiuge dye and tan kote that I would ever need and now I can find neat lac and my grandfather who was ranked in top ten hand leathercrafter in the world. Would roll over in his grave if I used this new stuff they trying to pass off as neat lac 

Clear lac, made by the same people who made the old Neatlac.

Terry