Hilly

needle question

I'm wondering where I can get smaller egg eye harness needles than the ones I'm using? I ones I have are 1.66mm or 1/16 of an inch thick. I would like thinner needles, but still be able to thread them with 4 cord waxed linen thread.

I'm wondering where I can get smaller egg eye harness needles than the ones I'm using? I ones I have are 1.66mm or 1/16 of an inch thick. I would like thinner needles, but still be able to thread them with 4 cord waxed linen thread.

Hilly take a look at Siegels of Calif, i think they will show photos for

comparision.......

Hilly take a look at Siegels of Calif, i think they will show photos for

comparision.......

I've got a similar question in another thread, is there a guide for what needles to use for which thread you are using? Also I have seen threads that say egg eye needles are a bad choice but I can't find info as to what would be a better choice.

Chris

Osborne has a catalog that has a pretty good comparison and pics. Any osborne dealer can send you one or go to them direct. Keith

I've got a similar question in another thread, is there a guide for what needles to use for which thread you are using? Also I have seen threads that say egg eye needles are a bad choice but I can't find info as to what would be a better choice.

Chris

Either I haven't been paying attention, or I just haven't seen the threads you mention. I would think that for saddle stitching, harness needles are harness needles. I don't know what shape the eye would have to do with anything?

Is there a better needle for saddle stitching than the egg eye harness needles?

Osborne has a catalog that has a pretty good comparison and pics. Any osborne dealer can send you one or go to them direct. Keith

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Siegels just lists 10 different sizes without pictures.

The needles I have says size "000" on the package. I hope that this is not the smallest size, because I could use them as nails. I will contact Osborne and find out.

Hilly

Hey Hilly

There is no better needle to sew Leather than the Egg Eyed harness Needle!!

Anyone who says different is seriously misled.

Other needles have points and they will catch the grain as they are used!

Sizes go from #000 being the largest to #7 being the smallest.

#000 are crowbars for sewing Ex Heavy harness. #7 are for very fine work.

For a 4 cord waxed Linen (ready made Thread) you will need #2 or #3 so as to get the Thread through the Eye of the Needle. For a waxed end (Hand made) Linen thread you can use #4 or #5. depending on your skill at making the Thread and threading onto the Tapered end.

I hope this helps you.

Kindest Regards. Jim (Saddler)

Hey Hilly

There is no better needle to sew Leather than the Egg Eyed harness Needle!!

Anyone who says different is seriously misled.

Other needles have points and they will catch the grain as they are used!

Sizes go from #000 being the largest to #7 being the smallest.

#000 are crowbars for sewing Ex Heavy harness. #7 are for very fine work.

For a 4 cord waxed Linen (ready made Thread) you will need #2 or #3 so as to get the Thread through the Eye of the Needle. For a waxed end (Hand made) Linen thread you can use #4 or #5. depending on your skill at making the Thread and threading onto the Tapered end.

I hope this helps you.

Kindest Regards. Jim (Saddler)

Thank you very much, Jim, for that information. :thumbsup:

L'Bum