Hi Everyone,

new to the forum, and I have seen so many great and informative responses to questions I have had, but I have one I couldn't find an answer to by searching the forum.

I am looking to buy a post bed for sewing boot, boat shoe, and moccasin constructed uppers and colars and the company I am working with in Maine has several Singer 168W101's available. Anyone out there with an opinion on this would be so helpful, I am wondering how this machine would be for my needs (I know it was widely used in the footwear industry and in a few cases still is). I am curious about this having a walking foot vs buying a machine will a roller foot and any other ideas or thoughts about this machine.

Thanks for your time and opinions!

-Dan

Dan,

The roller foot makes it easier to make straight stitches than a walking foot because heroller has constant pressure on the leather & the walking feet are lifting up & down which will will be harder to guide in a straight line.

Bob

Anyone know what this machine uses for needles? Sizes of thread? Thickness? Can you get a roller door for them? Thanks!

Anyone?? To answer those questions ^^

i just found the same machine on Maine craigslist 

7 hours ago, MG513 said:

Anyone?? To answer those questions ^^

i just found the same machine on Maine craigslist 

You can get some answers from the Singer 168w101 manual (pdf).

The Singer 168W or G101 uses the needle system 135 x17.  I have seen  needles up to #24 used.  Maximum thread size is #138.  Machine has no reverse.  Basically, a post version of a 111W155.

glenn

On 7/1/2016 at 6:36 PM, Wizcrafts said:

You can get some answers from the Singer 168w101 manual (pdf).

On 7/7/2016 at 0:39 PM, shoepatcher said:

The Singer 168W or G101 uses the needle system 135 x17.  I have seen  needles up to #24 used.  Maximum thread size is #138.  Machine has no reverse.  Basically, a post version of a 111W155.

glenn

Thanks you guys. Im going to look at a Singer 51w51 tomorow. Guy says its been sitting for 25 years, maybe used twice within that time frame. Im still looking to figure out if roller foot is available for it

What do you think is a good offer??? I will probably make a seperate post for it once I go to see it. Thx for the help!