lachlan

Camera Strap Stitching

Hey guys,

First post, great forum! Really informative :)

So I've decided to try my hand at some simple leatherwork, and depending on how it goes and how I like it I'll hopefully move on to some more difficult tasks...

The first thing I want to make is a camera strap, mainly because I'm very unimpressed by most of what is available in leather, and a bit unimpressed by the price of the rest of it (it's really only a saddle strap with some rings on the end...)

One that I do like, but think I can replicate for much less and in my choice of leather is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310270791745&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_10587wt_907

Materials wise I think it will cost me under $15 a strap, so if I have to have a couple of goes that's ok

Only thing is I just can't work out how they've done the stitching so that any knots and stitching between holes is hidden? If anyone thinks they know that technique it would be awesome.. if not I'll just to do a simpler stitching pattern.

Cheers

Lachlan

interesting technique knots are hidden on the inside between the layers and I would not call it stitching more like a lashing. in my opinion that creates a weak point for the strap I would rivet it or saddle stitch it.

If I were doing this, . . . I would use a heavier string, . . . nylon for sure, . . . and would tie it off in the middle. Cut the ends with a very sharp pair of scissors, . . . hit the ends with a propane lighter or fire stick, . . . should work like a champ.

See the little drawing.

May God bless,

Dwight

PS: If you get over to the Gold Coast, south of Brisbane, . . . just wave at it for me, . . . no one there will remember me, . . . but I'll never forget Australia.

post-6728-078476500 1291212386_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight

That is kind of what I had in mind. So you guys agree that it is actually 4 independent pieces of thread? Will it be strong enough? They only have to take the load of about 700 grams of camera... still too much? I would probably epoxy the centre of the joined area as well.

I could rivet it much easier, but a big part of why I liked this design is the fact it doesn't have any rivets, and hence no metal that can come in contact with the camera and rub it...

If you look really close at the pictures in the ad, you will notice that the "thread" is not thread, it is a metal clip. That item is made in China, so I was suspicious of it to begin with. You could easily saddle stitch a nice design in the ends to hold the strap together.

I did some of this on a bridle I made once and but I used 1 piece of latigo lace and just tied it off on the inside, that way if it frays it doesn't come all undone in a hurry and if you skive it down when you get to the end you can glue it like you said. Of course the bridle was a bit bigger but I think it would work the same.

Peace

Bryan