today, I started making a new bag.

concept is small, simple and make easy.

first, made a shoulder strap.

tomorrow, I'll spend a day with needles.

post-32270-0-61170700-1379509989_thumb.j

post-32270-0-65739800-1379509999_thumb.j

Today's works.

shoulder strap

post-32270-0-91321100-1379786229_thumb.j

Front pockets.

post-32270-0-02798800-1381064800_thumb.j

Today's works.

post-32270-0-64817100-1381153536_thumb.j

post-32270-0-60309300-1381153545_thumb.j

post-32270-0-49615200-1381153553_thumb.j

Looks great hunio!

Really lovely work

Today's works.

post-32270-0-41849700-1381242559_thumb.j

Wow, that's beautiful!

Can I ask what leather your using? It looks rather like gold Barenia? The whole thing looks like its going to be a lovely bag

Charlie

Can I ask what leather your using? It looks rather like gold Barenia? The whole thing looks like its going to be a lovely bag

Charlie

Yes, it's gold Barenia from HAAS. Thanks. :-)

Classy work hunio, nice design and quality leather.

love the pull tabs for opening the pockets, a nice design touch!

Today's works.

I change my mind, it's not a camera bag.

it's daily bag. :-)

post-32270-0-19012500-1382625043_thumb.j

post-32270-0-16200800-1382625052_thumb.j

I love brass rivet!

post-32270-0-35880400-1382725086_thumb.j

post-32270-0-74272700-1382725093_thumb.j

Wow that looks great!! I only joint the forum last night and got interested in leather craft a few days ago... Just dont now where to start!!

Little bit off topic, but as far as starting out, I would get the book The Art Of Hand Sewing Leather, by Al Stohlman (either ebook or hard copy) as well as The Art of Making Leather Cases books. The sewing book goes through all the basic techniques (and equipment) you need for traditional handsewing, and the Case books give you plenty of examples for projects as well as going into how to assemble common things on many leather projects. Almost all of the Stohlman books are good, as far as I can tell.

Youtube should be your next stop. Al Stohlman did it one way...and everyone else does it a little different. Watch a bunch of different tutorials and try a bunch of different methods to see what you like. I hand stitch pretty well like the Stohlman books say you should - but there's nothing wrong with following different methods.

I would start with a few simple projects to get a feeling for working with leather. Belts, dog collars, some sheaths, etc. I jumped into making bags a little too early, I think, and my amateurity shows on some of my work. What can I say, my wife wanted a custom hip bag ;). Use Christmas and Birthdays as excuses to expand your repertoire and get into new and interesting projects. Last Christmas I made gifts for all the people I would normally buy things for - a hip quiver, an ereader case and a belt for a few projects. This year I'm doing a rifle case, tablet slip cover, first aid kit/belt bag, a briefcase, and a smartphone case.

Rivets and such can put things together quickly, but rapid rivets aren't as secure as stitching - and require either a press or a bunch of different setters for each type of rivet, eyelet, snaps, etc. Get only what you need of these or you'll wind up like me - a guy with almost every kind of hand-setting tool for rivets and stuff from tandy that I could buy, and I almost always just handstitch things now. Snaps and copper rivets are about all I set.

If you start hand stitching you'll probably buy a cheap awl - its OK. you can sharpen it for a few hours and get a halfway-not-bad tool that won't mangle your leather. But if you start doing more than a little hand stitching, get a good awl. The Douglas awl blades sit astride the world of awls as gods among steel. Sheridan Leather has them. They're expensive but worth it.

In short- start small, but don't be afraid to be ambitious. And don't be afraid to ask questions here or search the forums. We've all been there before (some of us, like me, more recently than others)

WOW!! Thanks so much for the answer Jake! really appreciate the long and extensive reply. Just downloading the ebooks as we speak and I have subscribed to a few videos on youtube.

I dont want to get into carving but what inspired me to this hobby was high end craftsmanship. I once saw a video of Dunhill leather briefcase being made and I was really impressed. Thats the sort of stuff I want to make.... or hand bags like Hermes!

I may be aiming high here and talking like someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.. but I am very very new to this hobby so I dont know much. I dont even know the names of the tools properly. I did go anf buy some basic tools today after I had had class with a teacher on Thursday.

I think I want to stick with hand stitching and not use too many rivets or metal buttons etc. I actually really like a well stitched leather item.

I am trying to look for any DVDs I can find on the craft but I cant seem to find much.

Thanks again mate for all the info ..

cheers

Last works.

I'm done my bag.

Thank you for watching! :-)

post-32270-0-06328500-1382788682_thumb.j

post-32270-0-43482700-1382788689_thumb.j

post-32270-0-84189100-1382788697_thumb.j

post-32270-0-16298900-1382788831_thumb.j

post-32270-0-92639900-1382788836_thumb.j

post-32270-0-47935300-1382788842_thumb.j

hunio..It was your work that got me hooked on to this forum! I saw all the stuff you made starting from thins bag to the green bean bag..the finish on everything you do is excellent and this is the exact kind of work I want to do! Cant I ask more about the stitching you have done on the bag? In terms of the style of stitch and the tools you used please? Also what kind of thread are you using? This is great stuff!!

Edited by greekgod

Really amazing work. Way out of my league.

hunio..It was your work that got me hooked on to this forum! I saw all the stuff you made starting from thins bag to the green bean bag..the finish on everything you do is excellent and this is the exact kind of work I want to do! Cant I ask more about the stitching you have done on the bag? In terms of the style of stitch and the tools you used please? Also what kind of thread are you using? This is great stuff!!

Thank you greekgod.

that stitching is traditional saddle stitches everyone knows in this forum.

I used Blanchard griffe(http://www.vergez-blanchard.fr/) for stitching marks,

then I punched with small diamond awl.

Thread is waxed linen 532 thickness from france.

(http://www.sajou.fr/en/1239-cable-linen-corded-linen-leather-work-fil-au-chinois)

WOW!! Thanks so much for the answer Jake! really appreciate the long and extensive reply. Just downloading the ebooks as we speak and I have subscribed to a few videos on youtube.

I dont want to get into carving but what inspired me to this hobby was high end craftsmanship. I once saw a video of Dunhill leather briefcase being made and I was really impressed. Thats the sort of stuff I want to make.... or hand bags like Hermes!

I may be aiming high here and talking like someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.. but I am very very new to this hobby so I dont know much. I dont even know the names of the tools properly. I did go anf buy some basic tools today after I had had class with a teacher on Thursday.

I think I want to stick with hand stitching and not use too many rivets or metal buttons etc. I actually really like a well stitched leather item.

I am trying to look for any DVDs I can find on the craft but I cant seem to find much.

Thanks again mate for all the info ..

cheers

No problem. If you want to get into making cases and bags then the Art of Making Leather Cases is a good start. It doesn't show a satchel or briefcase but it does go into all the pieces that go into one in various different projects. The best thing to do is to look at completed satchels, briefcases etc. and look how they're put together. Most of the mass produced ones are machine-stitched and overly complex, not something you want to get started on, but if gives you some ideas.

I don't know much about DVDs that are available, but YouTube has a lot of free videos. The people who make those might sell instructional DVDs .

Good luck with it!

Hello again Jake, I want to do only hand made stuff. LIke I mentioned earlier I would love to make a briefcase like the Dunhill one which I believe is purely handmade. Yes I downloaded all the books of Al Stohlman and will be going though them now. My problem is to acquire quality tools here in Australia without having to sell a kidney!! ( was on youtube all day yesterday lol)

Thanks mate

Thanks for sharing that, Hunio. What I REALLY appreciate about your work is the skill you demonstrate in design and execution of the technical aspects of advanced leatherworking.