102 replies to this topic

#1 ghstrydr164

ghstrydr164

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Carving and Tool Making

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

I have started making my own Stamps and would like to share and have others that make their own Stamps share "How and What" they have made and are making.

Posted Image

I started out altering my Craftools after taking some leather carving seminars and getting to see and use quality stamps and experience the difference they made in my tooling. Not all of the hand tools I use are necessary to make stamps and none of the power tools are needed to make most of the stamps. So even on a limited budget you can make or alter stamps for better tooling results. I make my stamps 4¼" long because I have large hands and I find them more comfortable to hold for long periods of time. At first I did not finish the stems but I am starting to do that now. I texture the middle section with 36 grit abrasive belts, spin the stamp in the drill press and cut the groves with a hacksaw blade and polish both ends. The texturing is easier on my fingers over long periods and grips as well as checkering. I keep the striking surface square for better strikes.

Some of the stamps look lope sided in the picture but they are not, it's just my poor pictures.
Posted Image

For my blanks I use Stainless Steel Bolts (304 stainless) diameter ¼" 5/16" 3/8" Head sizes 7/16", ½", 9/16" with long unthreaded shanks and Stainless Steel 1/4 " rod.

Posted Image

Some of the hand tools I use are small jewelers files, checkering files 20, 30, 40, 50 and 75 lines per inch, mill and smooth bastard files, jewelers saw, hack saw, vise and sand paper. Power tools include a drill press, belt sander (Burr King 870 with knife makers attachments), Dremal tool, Dental hand-piece and a buffer (3/4 hp. Baldor).

Posted Image

Latter I will post some special stamps that I made to assist me in tooling.

I would like to here what you are making and any tips you have for making them.

Posted Image

#2 LuisPaulo

LuisPaulo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:sheaths, holsters

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

This topic will be VERY useful for me.
Here in Brazil there is no factory that made this tools. I boght mine from Tandy, and, besides these tools are not very expensive, adding the shipping, the taxes etc, the final cost goes to the space !!!

#3 CitizenKate

CitizenKate

Database Diva

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:Game boards, accessories, furniture

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:06 PM

Yes! Excellent topic! This kind of information is rather difficult to come by. In some places (such as the LCSJ, but not to be discrediting them), the topic is more or less banned because the tool vendors who sponsor the venue consider it detrimental to their business for crafters to learn anything about making their own stamps or other tools.

I know that would not be the case on this forum, so I've been hoping someone who has had some success in this area would come along and post some how-to information on stamp making.

My first question: Where is the best place to get your checkering files? I could just kick myself now, because my dad was an amateur gunsmith (as well as a leather crafter), and had a whole set of those files.

Thanks so much for bringing up this topic!

Kate

#4 candyleather

candyleather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

My own stamps in the forum

http://www.leatherwo...p?showtopic=671

http://www.leatherwo...p...pic=673&hl=

Edited by candyleather, 03 November 2007 - 03:28 PM.

#5 ghstrydr164

ghstrydr164

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:39 PM

Brownells Gunsmithing Supplies

Metal Checkering Files, not inexpensive but you don't need them all at once and compared to custom stamps very affordable. Maybe start with a 50 LPI for smaller fine stamps and maybe a 30 LPI for larger stamps. You can also make smooth tools to try your skills and checker them later if you like making them. Using the checkering file takes some practice so don’t expect to get it right the first time but you will get it with some practice. You can always sand off the mistakes and try again. Once you get the lines started you just ride in the groves and deepen with each stroke until you get them where you want them. Keep a scrap of cased leather close through all of the stamp making process to test the impressions.
Posted Image

#6 ghstrydr164

ghstrydr164

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

candyleather

Very nice stamps and impressions, you have already given me some new ideas. How about sharing the techniques you use to fabricate some of the non cast stamps.

Posted Image

#7 SmilinJim

SmilinJim

Smilin' Leather Worker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:I lke all techie stuff, Science, math, fishing, leather and of course friends, family and food. Got a great dog, a pitbull, named Repo, we got him from an animal rescue shelter. Married to a great lady for 35 years and I have a wonderful daughter.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:none, still learning, but do like 'different'

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

Nice work ghost

I like seeing 'homemade' items. Been thinking about trying some simple stuff. Some of the tools mentioned in the older Stolman books are not available. Keep showing your work.

Jim

#8 candyleather

candyleather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

candyleather

Very nice stamps and impressions, you have already given me some new ideas. How about sharing the techniques you use to fabricate some of the non cast stamps.

Thanks Cyrus!, no problem. Sometimes I use an old laser engraving machine for metal, sandpaper, another tools, a dremel and patient. I can make any pics for to show you next time.

#9 candyleather

candyleather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Nice work ghost

I like seeing 'homemade' items. Been thinking about trying some simple stuff. Some of the tools mentioned in the older Stolman books are not available. Keep showing your work.

Jim

Please, could you show me a link for to look those old tools not available in the older Stohlman books? Thanks

#10 steveh

steveh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:general

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

very nice work, how did you lay out the sunburst or camafloge tool, and what did you cut the lines with.
Thank You

#11 hiloboy

hiloboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:playing with my mustang cobra.. engraving, scrimshaw, and Qing..

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:03 PM

thanks Gray, and Candy for sharing and starting this tool making topic..i'm a engraver by trade and would really like to try to make some of my own stamps..i have been thinking of how i could use (new to leather work) some of my what we call masters. design work cut in plastic sheets.. i then use a hermes engraving machine to put the line work from the masters on to what ever i'm engraving.. and make the design what ever size i need. i use this when i need more than one of the same think..over the year i have made lots of masters lettering, crast, kamons, and scroll designs.. just thinking how i can add it to my leather work.. must be a way just thinking out loud i love this place...

Edited by hiloboy, 03 November 2007 - 05:05 PM.

#12 robert

robert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Leatherwork Specialty:western floral

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

wow... very cool. i make some of my own, but nothing as nice as is here. i already learned some great stuff - i have never finished the stems because i couldn't figure out how to do it that looked nice, but you have given me something to shoot for. I follow the same basic methods - using stainless bolts for stock, then i use a bench grinder to rough shape them, then a series of files, emory cloth and wet-dry sandpaper, followed by lining files. I dont have a belt sander or drill press. The 75 line per inch tools match what many custom makers use on their lining or checkering - so if you already own some good tools, you can "match" your existing tools.

Here is a pic of some of my tools. I am really interested in learning how to get the cam tool even - mine is very crude.

Thanks for the info on this post - this is really helpful.
Attached File  IMG_4323.JPG   796.83KB   2236 downloads

Attached Files

#13 ghstrydr164

ghstrydr164

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:15 PM

The Cams were done as an experiment with casting. I have a friend who owns a Dental Lab and we took impressions of some very high end stamps and cast them with a dental alloy that is harder than the 304 stainless and soldered them to shanks. We silver soldered straight to the shank and some had pegs cast to the bottom of the head and counter sunk into the shank before silver soldering. We tested for strength and found both to be impossible to break off the shanks.

The process seemed to much trouble to be bothered with and I am now trying to come up with a better way to make them easily and well. I did get som nice stamps from the experment though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 ghstrydr164

ghstrydr164

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:19 PM

Robert

Judging from your carving, your stamps are doing a fantastic job for you. Very Nice!
Posted Image

#15 ghstrydr164

ghstrydr164

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

Some time back when I was doing a long straight border on a piece and I wanted the border to be checkered and have some depth so I decided to make a special stamp for other similar tasks to speed up the process and give good depth without much effort.

I call it "El Coyote", 7/8" face made from a 5/8" Stainless Steel Bolt

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Having Fun
Posted Image