Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

What is skirting leather?

I like to use 10/12 oz veg tanned for thick padding for my shoulder straps. right now Tandy has some thick skirting sides for $70 an $80 per sq./ft., which seems to be a good price.

Why is skiritng leather so much less expensive than regular 5/6 oz or 6/7 oz tooling sides?

Ed

I like to use 10/12 oz veg tanned for thick padding for my shoulder straps. right now Tandy has some thick skirting sides for $70 an $80 per sq./ft., which seems to be a good price.

Why is skiritng leather so much less expensive than regular 5/6 oz or 6/7 oz tooling sides?

Ed

Hi Ed

To be fair, you have to compare quality. A $70/80 side of skirting would not be high end and will probably have scars and maybe brands and who knows where it was tanned

Your saddle skirting is tanned to be tooled and formed and of course is heavier in weight. It is usually not leveled unless requested.

The skirting can run from top end to you shouldn't have wasted your money depending on where it came from. It is also sold in grades #1 #2 Tannery run etc.

Tooling sides usually have a tighter grain and are leveled and also can come in grades.

Skirting is usually sold by the side or by the pound where Tooling sides are sold by the sq. ft.

Some dealers will sell any russet or natural Veg Tan as tooling leather but the better tanneries select and Prep leather just for its tooling quality. You can tell the difference when you actually use it.

You should try the Hermann Oak and W. Craig web sites as I am sure they will have a wealth of information available. The whole process from start to finish is pretty interesting.

Kind Regards

Blake

Kind Regards

Blake