olandrea

shoemakers wax / handwax

Olaf,

I read another forum for boot and shoemakers (www.thehcc.org). These guys are pretty traditional. In their archives there is some info on handwax (coad). It seems like they all make it up themselves. It sounds like the domestic sources for some of the "makings" are gone, and they have to import them.

There are a few suppliers in the UK, dunno about USA.

Ok and who is selling it in the UK?

Olaf

Me for a start! But I probably only have about 3 or 4 small packs left. Drop me a PM and they could be heading your way in no time.

Ray

Im off work for a few days. I'll post suppliers once back to work Thursday.

I'm puzzled.

What the heck are you using it for? To wax thread???

I run my machine thread thru some Weaver Silicone Thread Lubricant and it works like a charm. I even use it on heavier cord or stuff for handstitching to slick it up. Why would you want to mix pitch,tar, wax, and all that stuff when such a simple and effective solution exists??

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

I'm puzzled.

What the heck are you using it for? To wax thread???

I run my machine thread thru some Weaver Silicone Thread Lubricant and it works like a charm. I even use it on heavier cord or stuff for handstitching to slick it up. Why would you want to mix pitch,tar, wax, and all that stuff when such a simple and effective solution exists??

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

1) Because it's traditional and some of us prefer that - plus when making exacting repros ANY synthetics are a no no for the customer base which can be quite lucrative.....

2) Handwax locks the linen and/or hemp threads tightly - it is NOT used to lubricate per se - it also strengthens the thread

3) The pitch is antibacterial/anti-fungal and especially for shoes that is important when using natural threads.......

It's not a difficult or time consuming process - I make my own and in less than 1/2 an hour can make up a couple of years worth.........

finally different strokes...........

I spoke the last days with a lot of cobblers about thread . A lot of them use even on bespoked shoemaking poly thread this days. But still they use there self made handwax also on poly like Chuck sad, because handwax locks the thread and/or hemp threads tightly.

Olaf

Thanks! Ya learn new things all the time!

:coffeecomp::coffeecomp::coffeecomp:

Sorry but the company I deal with no longer sell the wax your after.