vander

Homemade string cutters

Does anyone have a picture of their string cutters that they could possibly post... I dont have the money to buy and expensive one and am looking for an idea to make one from. thanks vander

You can buy a lace maker from Tandy for $9.99... and an Australian Strander for $24.99... Here's a link. You don't need to be rich to get a lace cutter.

As for making your own, Bruce Grant's book shows a guy cutting lace with a knife and using his thumb for a guide. That's pretty low-cost, and I've actually done that. It works fine, just sharpen the heck out of the knife.

As for making your own, Bruce Grant's book shows a guy cutting lace with a knife and using his thumb for a guide. That's pretty low-cost, and I've actually done that. It works fine, just sharpen the heck out of the knife.

And watch your thumb blade alignment closely. :rolleyes:

And watch your thumb blade alignment closely. :rolleyes:

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

Ok so I have a friend who had an old StriptEase cutter and I have cut about ten ft of 1/8 wide lace from a circle of rawhide that was about 14.5in in diameter. my question now is how do I straighten it out, just wet it and stretch it lightly or what? thanks in advance vander.

Here is what I use. Cost me $50 to have it made.

String_cutter_break_out.JPG String_and_splitter.JPG cutting_small_circle.JPG cutting_large_circle.JPG

post-5521-1236685994_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1236686045_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1236686127_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1236686313_thumb.jpg

rgerbitz--did you happen to have a mchine drawing made of your cutter?

Charlie

Sorry Charlie,

The first model was one I made of wood. I took that to the machine shop and with a few modifications I had what you see there.

If you would like some dimensions I could fix you up with something.

Rob

Rgerbitz,

This may be a stupid question, but why the diagonal cut in the large rod?

To bevel the edge.

rgerbitz--did you happen to have a mchine drawing made of your cutter?

Charlie

What is the diameter of the cutter and how is the blade attached to it? What kind of blade do you use?

Edited by oldtimer

Sorry Charlie,

The first model was one I made of wood. I took that to the machine shop and with a few modifications I had what you see there.

If you would like some dimensions I could fix you up with something.

Rob

Rob--some basic dimensions would be great. By the way, what kind of splitter is that in the picutre? Charlie

Charlie,

The Diameter = 1.5 inches and the length = 5 inches. The angled cut is at 45 degrees. I am going to have another one made some day and when I do I will add another 3 inches on and put another angle at 30 degrees. It would also be nice if there were some kind of finger on the collar so that there wasn't so much surface area against the string when cutting.

Old timer,

I have been using the small utility knife blades, they are about an inch or so long. I use a black marker and put a mark along the cutting edge that wears off as I go. Easier to tell which part of the blade has been used, when the mark is all gone I throw that blade away.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Charlie,

The Diameter = 1.5 inches and the length = 5 inches. The angled cut is at 45 degrees. I am going to have another one made some day and when I do I will add another 3 inches on and put another angle at 30 degrees. It would also be nice if there were some kind of finger on the collar so that there wasn't so much surface area against the string when cutting.

Old timer,

I have been using the small utility knife blades, they are about an inch or so long. I use a black marker and put a mark along the cutting edge that wears off as I go. Easier to tell which part of the blade has been used, when the mark is all gone I throw that blade away.

Hope this helps,

Rob

One more question: Is there a indentation for the blade between the cylindrical pieces or is the blade just squeezed between the parts ?

Thank´s ! / Knut

Edited by oldtimer

It is just squeezed in there.

It is just squeezed in there.

Thread hijack, Rob, I just clicked on you website link. Tampico IL, I grew up in East Moline and my Mom is from Walnut. Small world isn't it? I've been in SoCal for the last 30 years though.

Mike

I was born and raised in Walnut, who's your mom, maybe I know her.

Rob

I was born and raised in Walnut, who's your mom, maybe I know her.

Rob

Wow now that is a small world. My Mom is Mary Lou Odel her parents were Mike and Fern. So if you know any Odel's or Wallaces from Walnut I am likely related to them. :)

Real small world. It's not very often you find anyone who knows where the hell Walnut Il. is. Let alone someone who is a distant relation. My great grandmother is Anna Odel.

Rob

Wow, that is funny that you two are cousins somehow and you are both into rawhide braiding and found each other on this forum!!! LOL how COOL is that!! I wonder if I have any lost relatives on here??!!!??

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Yes, It certainly surprise me. I talked to my mom last night and she didn't recognize the name Anna but she did recognize the last name Gerbitz. She said they were related to us somehow or another. Oh and she reminded me that my cousin Don Wallace is or was a teacher / coach at Tampico HS.

Wow, this still sort of trips me out. Who would have thunk?

Does anyone have a picture of their string cutters that they could possibly post... I dont have the money to buy and expensive one and am looking for an idea to make one from. thanks vander

this is a very simple one , but it works great - and it cost me nothing , only a little work

Grtz Easy.

011.JPG

015.JPG

post-9755-1237299790_thumb.jpg

post-9755-1237299805_thumb.jpg

Alan,

Could you post a few pics of your plastic guide you showed me? Maybe some of it being used and how you use it to bevel your string? By the way where did you get the plastic disk to make it from?

I did manage to get a fairly small string with my cheap lace maker last night by cutting down a larger string (about 3/16 down to say 1/8 or 3/32).

Mike

Here is a couple of pictures basically it is a disk cut from a kitchen cutting board. In he center there is an "A" shaped hole and on one side there is a slot cut into that goes just past the apex of the "A".

Vaya Con Dios, Alan

Argentine_string_cutter2.JPG

argentine_string_cutter5.JPG

post-1670-1237343182_thumb.jpg

post-1670-1237343290_thumb.jpg