2 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieR

CharlieR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Braiding and Old Saddles

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

OK, I just saw a holster and gun belt rig that I thought had ridden across the plains with a crusty old cowboy only to discover that it was a recently made project made to look that way. How do you age leather to make it appear as an antique or older, well used leather piece??

#2 Hilly

Hilly

Leatherworker.net Regular

• Contributing Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Interests:Leatherwork, photography, bird dogs, nature, hunting, camping, plinking with a pistol.
  • Leatherwork Specialty:None yet, but wanna try it all.
  • Interested in learning about:All types of leatherwork and the people that hang here.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

OK, I just saw a holster and gun belt rig that I thought had ridden across the plains with a crusty old cowboy only to discover that it was a recently made project made to look that way. How do you age leather to make it appear as an antique or older, well used leather piece??

I just put some neatsfoot oil (a light coat) on it, then lay it out in full sun for a few days till I get the color I want. Just make sure that it isn't a "target" for birds :) I take it in at night so it doesn't get dewy or wet. Veg tan leather sun tans just like your own skin does. "Beat it up" a bit to distress it. You can also apply a resist, then antiquing gels/pastes to add a bit of patina. Afterwards you might want to put a small scuff or two on it to make it look very well used?

#3 JohnD

JohnD

• Contributing Member
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:Leather working, building Motorcycles.
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?:Google

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

I found this online when I had the same questions a few weeks ago.

Attached File  aging-leather-zurl.jpg   184.54KB   3952 downloads

It's an article from the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal by Wayne Zurl, that should answer it for you. Hope this helps.

John
(rdb):God looked down at the world, and said "See, right there in Witchita, next to the railroad tracks, I didn't put enough dandelions".